Sissy's sock

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Priscilla the last picture on post #18 has 2 pictures from the other side of the pond with the rocks in. And so far I have the screen held down strictly by the weight of the rocks above. I am pretty sure it will hold but since you can do a long tail, I could have pulled the screen all the way under the pavers based on the weight of my rock.
I'll try to take a few pictures of the darts, it's really just making pockets in the length of the screen to help hold the rocks in.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Darts: a game played by inebriated Brits in the local pub, and involving pointy projectiles. :eek:Dave 54 may be able to shed a bit more light on the subject. ;)
But seriously, My one concern would be that fiberglass screen tends to bio-degrade in sunlight, possibly releasing the rocks into the pond. (Not unlike a dart in the hands of a drunken pub-goer!!
John

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Really? See I figured I have screen's in my porch that get full sun and they seem fine. I would also think that since the screen will be covered with rocks and partly underwater it would diminish any UV effects. I was more concerned about the thread I used to sew them together. I guess I will be the guinea pig but I think Sissy has had her socks in her pond for years with no problem. I wish she would get back from her adventure so she could pipe in and add her wisdom.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry, I guess I'm a bit of a worry-wart. I WOULD keep the dangling rocks on the small side, though..... say under 200 lb.! :rolleyes:
John

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't see why not. I'm hoping to make one for the gap at the waters edge for my waterfall. I figure if that holds it'll hold anywhere!! Can't wait to see pictures!

Reaction score
Maybe use fishing line to sew it - as the thread. Just a thought.

I might try it. If my hyacinths take off now that the algae is under control, I will just corral them around the edges of the pond, solving my problem - IF they take off now.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah that's what I had planned on trying next. And Priscilla I saw somewhere that if your WH doesn't do well, take it out and let it sit in some miracle grow for a few days and then put it back in the pond. I don't know if it works but if mine don't bloom next year I'm going to try it.

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I had planned on trying next. And Priscilla I saw somewhere that if your WH doesn't do well, take it out and let it sit in some miracle grow for a few days and then put it back in the pond. I don't know if it works but if mine don't bloom next year I'm going to try it.

I don't think miracle grow is going to help them ...... I'm looking for an act of god to save them. They are a mess!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh dang it and I just gave away my last act of God. Lol. It's so funny to me how some people get there's to bloom and others don't. Mine haven't bloomed yet but I'm hoping it's because I put them in the pond so late.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I made fiberglass floating pond rings that sat in the water w/plants in them for a few years and never degraded but then I didn't have heavy rocks in them. I still have them and use them off and on. Still thinking they will be fine for many years. Think the water actually helps them stay fit longer maybe? Out in the dry heat w/sun baking on them on a door I think ruins the fiberglass faster.

Reaction score
Maybe use fishing line to sew it - as the thread. Just a thought.

I might try it. If my hyacinths take off now that the algae is under control, I will just corral them around the edges of the pond, solving my problem - IF they take off now.
I was gonna use fishing line to corral plants next year also!! My skimmer sucks everything in plus I want my plants separated. Now the floaters are clumped together.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I made fiberglass floating pond rings that sat in the water w/plants in them for a few years and never degraded but then I didn't have heavy rocks in them. I still have them and use them off and on. Still thinking they will be fine for many years. Think the water actually helps them stay fit longer maybe? Out in the dry heat w/sun baking on them on a door I think ruins the fiberglass faster.
Exactly, j.w., it's the part above the water that worries me.
John

Ask a Question