Skippy just 2 steps away from a Fluidized bed Bilter?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
YouTube Video - High Desert Koi Ponds - Filtration System

I was very impressed by this videa the author setup. Very interesting stuff. At 1:30 duration, focus on his fluidized bed filter.

Looks like it is exactly like a skippy except

1) he has an extremely high power aerator to keep things moving by a big air diffusor
2) much smaller bio medium that is allowed to float and be stirred

Is there something I am missing??

Reaction score
Exactly like a Skippy except....well, everything. The original Skippy was a Rubbermaid tank with static submerged media. Some people now use 55 gal drums and call that a Skippy. Just about every DIY static submerged media filter gets called a Skippy. Catchy name.

But yeah, most static submerged media filters can be converted if you threw out the guts, replaced the media and increased the flow or added an air pump. The container, in and out pipes can still be used. You do have to add a screen over the in/out pipes to keep the media in the tank.

I've always liked the videos by highdesertkoi.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just about every DIY static submerged media filter gets called a Skippy. Catchy name.
Yeah, it seems to me that if it does not have a swirl bar, then it really shouldn't be called a Skippy.

Exactly like a Skippy except....well, everything.
Yep, understood. After seeing his bio-filters ... I quickly said to myself, "dang, it seems like I could easily change my Skippy a little so it can become a fluidized bed filter."

------------------------------------------------

highdesertkoi, cracked me up when he pointed out his peacocks. Heh, these guys with the crazy animals crack me up. I bet he's quite a character. I wouldn't mind have'n a beer, visit'n with him during his afternoon in the shop. :)

-------------------------------------------------

I'm really not gonna have to throw away any guts, except the alfagrog ... just a bit reconfiguring.

I am wondering how easy it would be to convert a Skippy to a Fluidized Bed Filter.

My current Skippy setup ...
1) 20 gallon rubbermaid trash can.
2) 3" PVC pipe for the spray bar for swirling, coming in from the bottom of the can.
3) Egg crate lighting panel diffusor 14 inches above the bottom of the can.
4) 1 foot of bio-medium (using k1/k2 and alfagrog mix).
5) Egg crate diffusor above bio-medium to prevent it from floating out.
6) A circle of 1/4" soaker hose, that connects to my small aquarium aerator, a little bit under the bottom egg crate panel.

Are the only things I need to change is ... ??
1) replace my current aerator with a much bigger aerator so to promote a good stir
2) Creating a bigger air diffusor by adding a 10 foot length of 1/4" soaker hose, place it as a swirl on top of my bottom egg crate panel,
2.a) i have plenty of 1/4" soaker hose, only able to buy it in 50 foot lengths for $4 so i got extra if i should use more
3) take out the alfagrog, since i think it will not stir too well
4) remove the top egg crate diffusor so the media is allowed to stir
5) cut up this top egg crate panel so I can glue it on my outflow so that none of my media floats out

Is there anything I am missing that is vital for this conversion ?? What ya think ??

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems to me that if it does not have a swirl bar, then it really shouldn't be called a Skippy.
To me a Skippy will always be a Rubbermaid stock tank, egg crate light diffuser, some pads.

highdesertkoi, cracked me up when he pointed out his peacocks. Heh, these guys with the crazy animals crack me up. I bet he's quite a character. I wouldn't mind have'n a beer, visit'n with him during his afternoon in the shop. :)
Happy hour and talking about ponds with the neighbors...sounds great.

1) 20 gallon rubbermaid trash can.
Just FYI, I've had 2 plastic trashcans split top to bottom.

Is there anything I am missing that is vital for this conversion ?? What ya think ??
That's kind of different putting Kaldnes media into something other than a fluidized bar. Yeah, why not since you already have the media.

I'd test with the current air system just to see if that was enough. If the inflow pipe is off to the side pointing straight up that can be enough to get a current loop going. Doesn't take much. A pipe in the tank center doesn't make a current loop as easily sometimes.

The air is not required unless you can't get the bed fluidized with just pump flow.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very good. Thanks man.

Hopefully these cans won't split. Ugh... not for sure what else to use that wouldn't split, I suppose a 33gal poly barrel

Reaction score
They make other sizes too, 15, 20, 30 gal. Hard to find for cheap though.

I think on the splitting is to use it some place where a split wouldn't empty the pond or burn out a pump. Like if the water from the split went back into the pond it would be OK, just a big mess. BTW, one of them that split on me was buried in the ground. I thought the ground would provide some support...didn't.

Ask a Question