Skippy pond filter question

Reaction score
How come on the actual skippy filter website they say not to clean the filter at all and they never backwash or anything? I was wondering because it looks like all the ones you guys have made were set up for backwashing and i was planning on ordering the kit for $145 on the skippy website. thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would guess in are small pond environments , We want the water cleaner
The Drain just lets the filter work easier
The first time you open the drain you will see what were talking about
If the kit doesn't have the drain just buy one and add it

Reaction score
Skippy actually has plenty of ponds that are larger. And, yes, he swears by NEVER cleaning the bio filters out. Claims that when he did clean one out (eons ago), it created a problem and has never done that again. Skippy will tell you that pond size will have nothing to do with it--whether small or huge. He replicates his system for any size.

You can read about it here: http://www.skippysstuff.com/ and you can even call them up and chat with them. But yes, the claim is that they create their bio filters and never EVER touch them.

Of course, Pondjunky, to do this you have to maintain pristine water conditions, have the optimal number of fish, feed them appropriately, do meticulous water changes, etc. And reality is that most folks don't adhere to any of that. They overpopulate their ponds, do weak maintenance, etc. So, if you can live by Skippy's rules, you may just have his success, too.

Reaction score
I believe they suggest that you also need to purchase their enzyme/bacteria which they report as being able to devour the solids......or something to that effect.....

Reaction score
Yeah, I read the skippy website as well. I am by no means close to an expert in pond care. But, it just seems the right thing to do is to clean the filter every now and again to keep things tidy.
My current build is the koikeepr instructions in the DIY sections (stocktank).
I do know you do have to add benefical bacteria to get the process started.

Reaction score
you don't have to add benefical bacteria some on this site say they would never and its a waste of money others swear by it. i got some cause i found a good deal online. but if your don't then your filter will take 4-6 weeks to get the bacteria built up naturally. will the bacteria in a bottle help? who knows, but ill give it a try.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
all i will say is i have used microbelift pl gel filter innoculant to start my filters, and organicas pristine pond.my first pond was 450 gals, and i had about 40 fish in it in maybe 3 weeks. never had an ammonia reading..nor nitrate/nitrite... that said i know it performs for me..i do maintainence dosing with organicas pristine pond. for a $ 20.00 investent that lasts me all season....i dont have all this fancy expensive equipment. i use one 1200gph tetrapond submeresable pump and my 70 gal koiguy filter on a 1200 gal pond...my water changes are maybe 10%. i do them every 5 days.( more frequent smaller changes are better for the fish than one bigger one, less adapting to changes in water chemistry) my fish load is larger than alot of peoples with larger ponds,and my parameters are always ideal.. i would venture a guess that many people who talk down using bacteria have never used it.if thats the case they really shouldnt voice an opinion on things they dont know about....granted like any other product your gonna have good and bad...the 2 products i use i know to be good..regardless of others opinion. i buy my pristine pond for $11.00 at Meijers..when every pond store gets $25+ 2 bottles gives me peice of mind and pretty much lasts all year!!...oh and im not saying to stock a 450 gal pond with that many fish but i did it not knowing i shouldnt anyways.

Reaction score
I used Microlube when I started up my filter on the new pond this year. I had never used any of these products before, and never felt the need to as I never had trouble cycling a pond up naturally each year. But, since I was starting the new pond a bit later in the season, I tossed the stuff in. Did it work or not? I don't quite know. All I know is that I had a successful cycle and my pond parameter readings were perfect after one week of starting the filter.

I only used it once, and did not do any subsequent additions of the stuff as recommended. Would I use it again? Probably not. I guess I just feel there's really no reason to. It certainly didn't hurt to use it, but I just can't confirm I got bang for my buck.

I guess you could say that bacteria in a bottle is like God. You either believe in it or don't--and whether you've seen "Him" or not, you've got an opinion.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
altho,i wouldnt want to be the one who didnt believe in God when we stand before him in judgement....just my thoughts!

PS3

Reaction score
i used the PL gel i think it worked i tested my water 2 times this week and had zero ammonia reading but i have to have the pet test the rest of my water they want 25 dollars for a test kit is that to much money

Ask a Question