Smallest Pond Here? PICS

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have a 100 gallon performed pond I have had for 20 years and counting now, still works and still holds water. I used to have it in the back yard by it's self, but it was in the full sun and overheated cause I could not keep any fish in there, jwater was always too warm, got too darn hot even with spitters and a waterfall, but the floaters did way too well with the heat. Then I added more ponds and had it as part of five ponds that flowed together like a creek. Had it that way for 10 or so years, till I took that apart and made the bottom pond one big pond, then I moved that little pond to the front yard in a cool shady spot.

Here is the little pond in the front yard now...

Attachments

• IMAG4338.jpg
    IMAG4338.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 317
  • IMAG0895.jpg
    IMAG0895.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 358
  • IMAG4344.jpg
    IMAG4344.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 285

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice job! Jason, it looks great way to go!

Reaction score
I have a 100 gallon performed pond I have had for 20 years and counting now, still works and still holds water. I used to have it in the back yard by it's self, but it was in the full sun and overheated cause I could not keep any fish in there, jwater was always too warm, got too darn hot even with spitters and a waterfall,

Yup, we have one too, although took it out... got too hot... was thinking of using it as a tiny bog, but think I would just rather use a scrap of liner... would sell the preform, but dont even know what would be fair to ask for it. It is still in perfect shape. No clue how many gallons it holds... it's surface area is only something like 60 x 30 inches....
pond1_zpsea97f707.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for all the feed back guys and gals! I Was worried about my pond being too hot as shallow as it is this past summer ( i Built it at the beginning of August) but my fish survived im guessing do to the Trees overhead shading it. I have a Kidney shaped Preformed pond that I got off Craigslist for $15 that is 22'' deep and 80 Gallons, Don't know what to put in it yet?! :question:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My first pond was also very small, created from a pair of pre-formed liners that were given to me by a co-worker. You make do with what you have, and I learned a LOT over the years with that pond. With that small of size, the pond can quickly overflow or drain dry, so you really have to keep an eye on things. Pump lines are smaller and freeze easier, but in your area that certainly won't be a problem.

Here's what my first pond looked like shortly after I set it up. The upper pond is 160 gallons and the lower is 75 gallons. One of the biggest problems I had over the next few years was that the 'ears' on the lower pond wanted to compact into the soil, and ended up at least an inch lower than the rest of the liner. I also had similar problems with the upper liner, but because of the built-in waterfall, I had no way to regulate the water level in that part, and it became a source of much lost water.
img_2229.jpg

One thing I strongly advocate is LOTS of plants around a pond. Not only do they make it look more natural, but they also help clean the water and can provide another source of food for the fish. Of course, when you have a small pond, things can get overgrown before you know it! :)
img_0640.jpg

Your pond looks great so far. Can't wait to see the daytime photos!
Wow, thats crazy how the Plants grew over! I hope to get some plants in mine when spring comes :razz:

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back guys and gals! I Was worried about my pond being too hot as shallow as it is this past summer ( i Built it at the beginning of August) but my fish survived im guessing do to the Trees overhead shading it. I have a Kidney shaped Preformed pond that I got off Craigslist for $15 that is 22'' deep and 80 Gallons, Don't know what to put in it yet?! :question:

I have happy goldfish in a 12" deep (8'x2') tub. It has shade for part of the day, but gets some filtered sun. The spring babies thrived in there last summer and grew like crazy. I also have very healthy fish in my 240 gallon pond that is 15" deep. Much of that pond gets full sub-tropical sun for about 4 hours mid day in the summer. The fish hang out under the waterfall in the hottest part of the day and come out in the cooler parts of the day. I suspect these fast-growing FL fish will age sooner than fish that have a dormant period during the winter, but they certainly seem to be enjoying life in the fast lane.

Reaction score
Jason I have a 60gal preform with a 20gal spill over. It's in the shade, only filtered sun early morning and afternoon. I keep fancytail goldfish in mine, and they're happy as they can be :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Wow, thats crazy how the Plants grew over! I hope to get some plants in mine when spring comes :razz:

Keep in mind that was a span of about 3 years... It didn't happen overnight :) The thing about plants is that some will do great that shouldn't even grow in your area, and some will die off despite being native plants. You just never know, so you keep pushing forward year after year, figure out what's doing good, and keep working with those. I probably had half my plants die in the first couple years. One Summer I planted about $100 worth of grasses, and every one of them died off. It can be frustrating at times, but its worth it when you do find the right combination.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I want to work over the little pond I have in my front yard, give it a new look, want to add a little bubble brook that I want to snake around this old tree stump, so people from the front walk can see and hear water bubbling down and around the big old tree stump. I know what will happen, all the neighbor kids will be back to play and skip out front, and that's good, they feed the fish bugs and are good kids. :)

Reaction score
Omgosh is that real?!? It's so tiny! Hey colleen, I have an idea you could add to that bubble brook.... Idk how tall the stump is, but you could make a fairy house out of the stump :) I have pictures of one example I found, it's adorable! I'll try an upload the pic if I can find it.

Ask a Question