So check this out :)

Reaction score
Today my father called me and asked if I could stop by and help him load up some heavy stuff for his trip to their house in North Florida. One of the objects was a large (id say about 150 to 200 gallons) plastic bin with metal reinforcements barrel 1.jpg
I asked him where he got it from and he said they get them all time at work. They are used to ship large amounts of msc. liquids products, in this case dish soap. I asked him his plans for it and he said as a small septic tank for the new garage he had built.

I thought one would make a great filter, But I would have to pick the one that had safest product in it. My choices are dish soap or plant fertilizer.
If I did use this as a filter what are some good ideas to set it up? Should I cut the top open? leave is sealed and just dump rocks, gravel and other media through the hole at that top?

BTW I came to this forum looking for advice on the best store bought pond filter and ended having DIY filter all I have been able to think about for the last week... Thanks allot.... :p

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They sell them all the time here on craigslist .I have one I paid 50 dollars for .The one I got has a ball valve at the bottom of it and a big black screw on cap on top and the wire cage around it also and was used for olive oil .

Reaction score
BTW I came to this forum looking for advice on the best store bought pond filter and ended having DIY filter all I have been able to think about for the last week... Thanks allot.... :p
Wow, talk about a 180. You've gone from not having any time for DIY to tackling the most difficult DIY.

These are called Intermediate Bulk Containers liquid totes or IBC liquid totes. Used a lot in aquaponics which is a cousin to backyard ponds. I've only ever seen them to be 275 gals.

For use as pond filters they're a little problematic because they're so large, but can certainly be used. There's a current discussion on a tote filter on Koiphen you might be interested in.

These can be fairly easily be used as a settling chamber or static submerged media, but these are not the best available choices.

I know about getting the filter bug. I obsessed on filters for many years. Laying awake at night thinking of a new design, build many different kinds. Took me almost 3 years to get over the obsession. Great way to learn.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use mine for a downspout rain collection system and mine is 150 gallons and that is a lot of olive oil .The guy is still selling them in Chatham Virginia ,he had bigger ones but figure the one i bought was big enough and i could still handle it with help of the lawnmower

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used one for my arizona pond, made a nice filter and water fall

P1013612em.jpg

Ask a Question