addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mitch, I dump 100 lbs of chicken grit, i.e. crushed oyster shells into my pond/bog every year. It is has kept the hardness up to a nice 100. Our well water does not even read hardness using the test drops, Very very soft and acidic water.
It took a bit of time for them to work, but now all stays stable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Normally our well water has plenty of carbonate hardness, but because I haven't maintained it as I should, there has been a buildup of iron bacteria in the well that is consuming the carbon source.
Once I catch up on the maintenance of the well, I shouldn't need to supplement carbonate again.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@MitchM ... Very awesome thread... I am behind on my forum reading here... Love these planted aquarium threads... Good job there!! Love it!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@MitchM , I love that you are using the term "pond" rather than "aquarium" here. I absolutely agree that, ultimately, there are far more similarities, rather than differences, between an aquarium and a pond. I have been given so much grief about creating this equivalence in the past. When considering apples to apples, as you are doing here, ponds and aquariums portray far more similarities, rather than differences.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
MitchM, Have you thought about writing an article/paper describing this particular experiment of yours in detail? How the results to this point have confirmed or contradicted any results that you may have expected? I would be one of the first to want a copy.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I just finished reading the thread... I am a slow reader when I actually take something serious, to ensure I don't miss anything nor misunderstand anything....

@MitchM , your pH increase in your substrate ponds make sense to me!! This pH increase is experienced in different types of aquaponic grow systems due to various microbrial processes/respiration, and plant feeding... I also don't buy the idea that plant roots oxygenate soil, at least for terrestrial plants; so, this may likely be different for aquatic plant roots.

... would be very quite interesting to read someone's testimonial and observations shared, as you have done here, of this idea being actively applied to a usual plastic lined pond....

@Meyer Jordan , you have made mention of this, a significant substrate layer, being done for a pond you have built... You creating a thread talking about this would be quite enlightening. Don't worry, I will behave. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yesterday I shut down and cleaned out the 40 gallon test tank.
It's been set up for almost 1 year and there hasn't really been any changes. Where the tank was situated had sunlight hitting the sides of the tank only, so the walls were starting to accumulate algae. I also need the tank for another project.
I'll also be changing the 600g tank back over to salt water sometime this summer.

Both tanks have required very little maintenance, other than pruning plants and watching the fish grow older.
I imagine at some point the substrate will need to be replenished, I'm going to keep the 320g running as a heated setup (27c/80f), but i'm going to remove the wetlands filter that's running on top of it.
That filter was undersized for the plants, but I think it satisfied my curiosity about what effect a wetlands filter would have on a running system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Would still like to see an article (or post) describing in detail the processes and observed results of this project.

When the heat of summer comes and I'm hiding indoors is when I can do that.
There's a lot of posts and pictures I need to go back through and review.

Ask a Question