Using topsoil

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Im seeing posts about people using topsoil in the pond. Are you using the bagged or just from your own yard? Do you have issues with murky water afterward? Any problems affecting water chemistry or new algae blooms?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use dirt/clay from my yard, the stuff that came out of the hole I dug for my pond. Haven't had any issues with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I use the clay soil we have and top it with river rock. The river rock is a bit harder for the couple of koi I have to dig out of the pots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh! Gotcha! I've used soil from my yard, which is a heavy clay soil amended with sand. But I haven't used bagged topsoil. I'm not sure how well that would settle. What about plain kitty litter? I started using that this year when I divided some lilies - it's cheap and easy to work with.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use kitty litter, topped with pea gravel. From what I understand, any soil that has a light texture [topsoil] has a greater tendency to float out of the pot, where as heavier soil [yard clay or kitty litter - which is clay] will tend to stay put [unless it get disturbed or spilled]. Also, seems like if topsoil got into the water column, it would separate into whatever particles make it up -- some [the lighter ones] would be filtered out and the heavier ones would settle in the pond.

I don't have a lot of experience, but do know that when I accidentally get dirt [in my case, it's all clay!] in the pond, it eventually settles to the bottom, but when it's stirred up it silts the water pretty bad until it settles again. When I've had a kitty litter spill, it doesn't seem to act the same way, and sort of stays put.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Any NONCLUMPING cat litter should work. Uh scented preferred but not sure it makes a difference in this application, a few members on here have had success (myself included) with special kitty from walmart. Why that one? It's easy to find for everyone in the nation and cheap as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use pea gravel for all my plants. The nice thing is because it is fairly heavy it doesn't get easily knocked over by animals that find their way into the pond. You have to rinse it good before you use it. I just planted a lotus seed this weekend and I am hoping it does well!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I was researching this a couple months ago. Somebody did a test with 4 different planting mediums for water lillies. Kitty litter, pea gravel, pond soil and regular dirt.The dirt(i used top soil) gave the best results and after trying it myself, I agree. I had tried the pea gravel and the KL before, but as soon as I replanted in regular top soil the root growth was amazing. Within a couple weeks the roots had grown out of the bottom of the pots.
here is the link.
http://waterplantsnews.com/index_files/type_of_soil_for_water_plants.htm

Ask a Question