Solar Pump advice needed

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I’m building a pond with a natural bog filter and small waterfall and have estimated it will hold about 4000L. I want to use solar power and hoped someone could recommend a pump for it. Or can I convert a 240v pump to a solar panel? What’s the most economical option for it?
I think I need 2000L/hr flowing.

The pond has 2 main pools connected by a channel so I suppose sort of kidney shaped and I planned to put the bog above the little waterfall. I don’t need high flow and no fish but lots of plants in warm temperate climate, no snow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome colors4.gif
@Deni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you hoping to power it at night with a solar-charged battery? and will your pond be planted, or just the bog?

If your pumps aren't running at night you'll lose circulation and aeration when you most need it. Plants tend to take in oxygen at night when they're not photosynthesizing.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Hamsterman,
I’d like a battery set up but if o can’t, I think it’ll be ok off at night. It’s going to have a lot of plants in it and different depths, a little shade and sunshine.
Wondering if I should split the kidney shape under the bridge in the middle of the kidney and run 2 separate pumps and if that’s more achievable, and affordable

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you run 2 separate pumps, you'll want the intakes close together so they're not trying to pull the same water in opposite directions. Maybe put both of them under the bridge and then aim their outflows away from each other so that each pool kind of swirls the water individually?

Ozponds on YouTube has a solar powered pond and stream that he's made a few videos about and you may find them helpful. Here's the playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ8Cv9jCFTGSmHODC769nOG9KtH366X6M&si=3AHm566_MLhauODo

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
If you run 2 separate pumps, you'll want the intakes close together so they're not trying to pull the same water in opposite directions. Maybe put both of them under the bridge and then aim their outflows away from each other so that each pool kind of swirls the water individually?

Ozponds on YouTube has a solar powered pond and stream that he's made a few videos about and you may find them helpful. Here's the playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ8Cv9jCFTGSmHODC769nOG9KtH366X6M&si=3AHm566_MLhauODo

Thanks for the link to the solar stream set up. They were easy to follow and understand.
I considered using the underbridge as a shared bog garden but I like the idea of housing pumps there. Think I’ll go back to the drawing board and sketch up my options and costs and see what can work best with the resources and shapes I have.
Thank you for helping.

Ask a Question