Some plants are in..

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Okay, so on Saturday I was able to get the border around the pond done so that the liner is mostly hidden, and on sunday I was out to my grandparents house, where my grandmother let me run rampant through her gardens with a shovel and dig out some ferns and hostas. So now I have some more plants in the area to fill in the baren land around the pond.

View attachment 6282

View attachment 6283

View attachment 6284

View attachment 6285

Attachments

• IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 297
  • IMAG0077.jpg
    IMAG0077.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 351
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 302

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very nice ididntdoit! grandmas love to share their plants!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Oh yes, she is the greatest, I saw a thread before about a video tour, sometime I'll have to do a video tour of her place, it is amazing.

I think so far, I've bought my 4 little water lettuce, and the spiral thing (I dont know what it is, its by the waterfall) and thats about it! Everything else is overflow from her pond and gardens. Even most of my fish came from her pond (except the 3 koi) Every time I go out there shes trying to get me to take more fish home with me, I told her shes going to have to start selling 10 cent fish at the farmers market just to get rid of all the babies.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should would be neat to see. Love getting overflow plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Wow. That looks much better than your previous thread with all the white liner showing. It's really looking good. Can't wait to see updated pics as they come along.

That looks smaller than 10'x12' to me though. Do you have an oversize swing?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Doubt they are sandstone, it doesn't hold up to constant water exposure. I had some near my pond in arizona it crumbled away after years of moisture....................turned to sand lol

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Max, I think you are right, I messed up my numbers when I signed up. Its about 8x10 not 10x12.

Im a mechanical engineer, I have so many numbers in my head on a day to day basis, I cant keep them all straight. All I remember is I figured it at a littler over 1000 gallons when I dug it.

Andy - I had to brush up on my rock and mineral classifications after you asked that just to see what I have, all of my rock came from a big rock pile at my aunt and uncles house, they are farmers, so they pull rock out of a field and throw it into a big pile.

http://geology.com/rocks/sedimentary-rocks.shtml

according to these pictues it looks like I have a little bit of everything on this list, chert, conglomerate, couple iron ore rocks, some sandstone, and both shale and siltstone.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Watch the sandstone and shale, my shale here in maryland turned to mush with any water exposure and weather.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Yeah, I will have to watch for that, since I changed the border, this is the first time they've been "in" the water. But I know some of the shale pieces were used in my waterfall and had water running over them for a year before I got that campground grill and I didn't have any issues. Although... all I'm doing is guessing by looking at those pictures, I really have no clue what kind of rock it is... field... thats the type, field rock. ;)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Field rock does fine, I have a lot of that.
The rock I had issues with is what I dug up, it is soft and just turns to dirt once exposed to water or the weather. We have layers of shale type rock, worthless for pond building lol Just makes it hard to dig a pond!

Ask a Question