Something to use other than quit batting

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No potting mix or dirt for plants! put them in bare root or in pea gravel. If you have dirt washing in, you need to raise the liner edge around the pond. We have several members who have amazing ideas for hiding liner and raising the edges up. The drift wood is ok but may cause a brown tint to the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I use this before the quilt batting and it works great. It keeps the quilt batting from getting clogged as often since this takes the brunt of the dirt. I put it in the skimmer box which makes it easy to get at.

How often do you have to clean this stuff and how long does it take to clean w/a hose. The quilt batting takes forever to clean. I switched to using a big pot w/holes in bottom and lined it w/fiberglass screen door material and then set a round piece of black Matala media to fit the bottom on top of screen and that works somewhat but not perfect. It doesn't catch the really fine stuff but it does catch a lot of the goopy gunk. Easy to clean tho.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the first thing to do is figure out what the particles are - its not single cell algae because that wouldn't separate and settle out of the water. Do you have a pine tree that sheds pollen which is a fine brownish powder that pine trees drop in early-mid spring? Its the color of your brown water which made me think that's what it might be! Another clue is - is the color same as the fish food you are feeding.

My guess based on the foam on the water (and my own past experience) is that plant and other organic debris may be going thru the pump and then as it breaks down into ever finer particles that cant be caught by usual filter - it can affect water quality.- I have heard this referred to as (excuse the crude expression) fish poop puree. The foam may indicate dissolved organic compounds which signal worsening conditions - how is your water testing, any ammonia/nitrites?

Either that or someone was spawning :)

My strategy was to use the fine filtration as needed - esp in Spring when the dang tree was dropping the pollen - and Im afraid there was no getting away from having change & rinse the pads several times a day. Later on after pollen drop, I could go days without having to tend to it and then remove fine pad entirely. I switched to a solids handling pump so that the poop and plant debris was less likely to break down and it collected more effectively in the Biosteps 10 filter (external filter with 8 layers of matala + the fine filter pad when needed).

Im definitely interested in what other people have to say though, cos it wasn't an entirely head-ache free solution. The fine pads I got from Dr Foster and Smith and where much more affordable and effective than that dang quilt batting from Wallmart (that stuff aint cheap) and also had the benefit of being washable and reuseable throughout an entire summer.

However Ive not found a new source for it since F&S is no more and the outfit that took it over is pretty lame in the pond department. Will let you know if I find anything! They also sold a less fine, but pretty good polyester filter - like quilt batting but sturdier and reuseable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All the readings in the pond were good except the alkalinity is very low. I took all the plants out of the dirt except one which is bigger. I did get some more plants today. The pond is not level with the ground it is raised up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just back flushed the filter to and seems to be alot of pieces of leaves.

All the readings in the pond were good except the alkalinity is very low. I took all the plants out of the dirt except one which is bigger. I did get some more plants today. The pond is not level with the ground it is raised up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You said earlier it was possible dirt was getting in with the rain.
I thought maybe possibly but after looking over the pond I really can see how dirt would be getting in. Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Reaction score
How often do you have to clean this stuff and how long does it take to clean w/a hose. The quilt batting takes forever to clean. I switched to using a big pot w/holes in bottom and lined it w/fiberglass screen door material and then set a round piece of black Matala media to fit the bottom on top of screen and that works somewhat but not perfect. It doesn't catch the really fine stuff but it does catch a lot of the goopy gunk. Easy to clean tho.
I did a video last week but haven't uploaded it yet to youtube. I had 5 full containers of dirt (the oil pan type container) empty into my pond and turned it into a mud hole. By using the two type of filter material I was able to make it crystal clear in a week. I had to wash the filters out 3 times but it's really a simple process, if it wasn't for all the mud I would only have to clean it once a month if that. I use a pressure washer with a medium pressure tip to clean the Amazon filter stuff, this takes about 2 minutes to get it completely clean. I then switch over to the lowest pressure tip and clean the quilt batting this takes no more than a minute or two. The pressure washer doesn't hurt the batting in the least. The Amazon stuff gets most of the dirt out and it's so tough that I have used the same piece for three years now. If you are using a hose try taking off the nozzle and letting the water run through the quilt batting. When you're cleaning the media place it on something that the water can run through and not on concrete. I use a cage made out of wire.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks @mgmine and I think I will order some of that stuff and see how it does by itself under my fiberglass window screen that I have lining a big pot. I might need the batting too but I'll see how it goes. I do use the pressure tip to clean and I have a plastic cage to put the stuff on to rinse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could it be tannins from the wood that is in the water. Often this will make your water a dirty Brown or reddish color. Add lots of plants

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Could it be tannins from the wood that is in the water. Often this will make your water a dirty Brown or reddish color. Add lots of plants

This is what is about to suggest - driftwood often turns the water a light brownish color for a while. It eventually goes away though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes and it doesn't hurt the fish or Wildlife or plants should clear after a I got it in my frog pond when I first set it up gone now though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes and it doesn't hurt the fish or Wildlife or plants should clear after a I got it in my frog pond when I first set it up gone now though.
We had the driftwood for two years so I am not sure if that would still be causing it. I did add some more plants. I have 6 plants, two small Lily pads, frog bit and water lettuce.

Reaction score
Country
United States
we use the batting in filter and have to clean it 3 times a day [ roughly ] water still won't clear as shown in my numerous posts . . . peace

Ask a Question