Sponge Type Filters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a 1000 Gal pond WITH two sponge filters.Do these filters remove fish urin?

Reaction score
Country
United States
A seasoned sponge filter provides spectacular biological filtration. But in a pond, many variables need to be factored into the equation most specifically bioload and the frequency of water exchanges. I use sponge filters in all of my ponds and aquariums. But they are not the only filtration used. All but one of my ponds use bog filtration which is amazing, and you might look into it. In my opinion, sponge filters are ideal for aquariums. I can't say enough about their effectiveness in an aquarium. But in a pond, bog (wetland) filtration is clearly the best. What the heck, I live in Florida which is a giant wetland (bog) filter!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nothing removes urine but all filter will convert ammonia which is urine, to nitrite and to nitrate. They have come a long way with sponge filters but one thing they all have in common is they are labor intensive. Requiring frequent maintenance and they take some time to clean. the worst part is you don't want to clean them too well for this is also where the biological's are in your system.

I would also agree a wetland filter/ bog is a very effective filter that requires little intervention or maintenance

Ask a Question