spring flowers

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The roots can be divided but the more you break them apart, the smaller the new plant will be. The potato part is the actual root and you can usually see what looks like an eye on a potato (sprout). That is the new growth. There are several stores that sell bags of the tubers, check Lowes. If you do decide to winter them over, dig them up, let them dry and then keep them in peat moss in a cool dark place till spring. I always divided mine in the spring as it was easier to see where the new sprouts were. They do not tolerate wet soil as the tubers will rot. Also, depending on the variety, if you get the dinner plate type, pinch off all flower buds but one per stem to get really HUGE flowers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hot cross buns then jw:lol::lol:eek:ne for each bun and what kind of tulips are those with the odd leaves .look at that buns and two lips in one wow :bowdown::lol::lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The one group of tulips have just stopped blooming and two other groups are starting..........and sorry mrsclem, no clue why but the deer are ignoring them so far. Even have some out by the road they like to walk down.

Attachments

• DSC01198.jpg
    DSC01198.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC01197.jpg
    DSC01197.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC01191.jpg
    DSC01191.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC01201.jpg
    DSC01201.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC01206.jpg
    DSC01206.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 214

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice assortment of blooms you got going there addy. Never seen the striped leaves ones before and they are cool :rolleyes:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Nice assortment of blooms you got going there addy. Never seen the striped leaves ones before and they are cool :rolleyes:

I picked them up, on sale of course, from americanmeadows. They are repeat bloomers will keep blooming year after year. This is their second year. They call them Red Riding Hood, and they come as part of a package, wildflower bulb collection.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well of course they would be on sale..............do you ever buy anything that's not on sale? :fish: I try not to myself :lol: Do you ever listen to Clark Howard? He's a fav of mine to listen to on the radio on saving for anything you can think of http://www.clarkhoward.com/
You can find a radio station near you to listen to him. I download his podcast and listen while I walk or garden or whatever :rolleyes:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
never heard of him, will check it out. thanks

They have to be on sale, I can't stand paying full price for some of this stuff, and with all that I planted could not afford it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cheap old fart addy lol you will make a great one:lol::fish::lol::lol::rolleyes: I'm right behind you I feel like an old fart right now

Reaction score
Wow love the pics, not much blooming herre yet....I did have some crocuses blooming, and a few daffodills but will be a while for anything else....Can't wait...thanks for sharing it brightend my night to see those pics, all sunny and colorful

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you are welcome, my star gazer lilies are just starting to grow, excited to see how they do. (on sale jw and just planted last year lol)

I tried to plant varieties that will bloom at different times of the spring summer. Now with any luck the voles, gopher moles will not eat them all.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
For all of us ladies who like plants on sale, the day after Easter is a great time to find bargains! I go every year and hit all the stores, Walmart, Kmart, Lowes etc and load up my car with lilies, azaelas & whatever else is marked down. The day after Mothers Day is also good.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, now know what i am doing on monday!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Go girl! My yard is planted with lilies, hydrangias and azaelas I have gotten on sale after Easter & Mothers day. Also like to check the stores after a frost in the spring as some plants don't get covered and they will let them go for practically nothing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep that is why I haunt the tlc sections, nearly dead plants for 50 cents. They all survive.

Ask a Question