addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like a little bear jw, almost 3 x the size of my yorkie.

The hyacinths have gone crazy with all this rain and less heat!

Deck pond

DSC02322.JPG

DSC02320.JPG

One of the stream ponds

DSC02321.JPG

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Addy my hyacinths were the same way, they actually grew so fast that in a matter of a week created a dam by my waterfall and forced some of the water to flow out of the pond. It is the one spot where I don't have much room for error in regards to the liner, if the water rises in this one spot by more than 1.5" it will go outside the pond. Has never been a problem until these hyacinths this year, as they have gone nuts in that pool.

Reaction score
Nice flowers Jw, what is the name of that one in the last pic? I got a load of them yesterday, saved from a garden that was being dug up, I really like them but have no idea what they are.

Rory.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy my hyacinths were the same way, they actually grew so fast that in a matter of a week created a dam by my waterfall and forced some of the water to flow out of the pond. It is the one spot where I don't have much room for error in regards to the liner, if the water rises in this one spot by more than 1.5" it will go outside the pond. Has never been a problem until these hyacinths this year, as they have gone nuts in that pool.

I just lost a few inches, same issue hyacinths decided to grow a massive amount, in the deck pond and stream did a nice little blockage..........lol
Another water change over.......
They have gone nuts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, you're so right about ground hog vs your Yorkie .... Charlie would win hands down! Not that your Yorkie would not THINK he could win. LOL
Haro, I missed the 15", understood it to be 15', so I'm good there. :) And, thanks for reminding me, Addy. Yes, it's bridal wreath, and I am definitely getting one for next year! Especially since the price they quoted for the size they had, was very reasonable. And, the landscaping places around here rarely put anything on sale, so if I want something special order, it's a matter of finding the best price for the best quality.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
She thinks she can beat anything, goes into one hunt mode when she catches a scent, I don't let her out if the ground hog is anywhere to be seen.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice flowers Jw, what is the name of that one in the last pic? I got a load of them yesterday, saved from a garden that was being dug up, I really like them but have no idea what they are.

Rory.

They are Crocosmia's and the hummingbirds love them. They can really take over a garden if you aren't careful. I pulled all mine up and gave away all but a few that I put in a pot. If I plant them in the ground again I will put them in their own little dug out circle so they can't go anywhere else.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy your hyacinth's are lovely and bet they smell wonderful right there on your deck. Wish I could get them to grow here but as I've said before..........darn, it's just not warm enough here long enough for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The little bit of rain I have gotten the last week (total of only half inch) has sure brightened up the annuals I have around my deck.
I'm really sad, though, about the red stemmed hibiscus that I about in a "group" planter. It has lost most of it's leaves. I never see anything chewing on it, and the leaves don't die first, just are gone! Come to think of it, my roses have done the same thing. Landscape place said maybe the heat, they are dropping leaves, which could very well be. I was hoping the hibiscus would bloom, but maybe next year. One stem still has leaves, and all stems look healthy, just not hardly any leaves except the tip top! Any ideas? Roses, maybe should I put fertilizer and insecticide on them when it cools off some?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, I have had no luck with hyacinths, although I must say that the ones I put in the bog are growing and looking pretty good! Not blooming, but at least not dying. LOL And, I got these tiny floating plants from the pet store, he had them in aquariums. They went from maybe 1" diameter for the 3-4 leaf plant (they spread and have "babies", too) to 3-4" diameter in the pond in the sun! I have to bring them in for the winter (after it gets to be 50 degrees) so will put them in the basement with a plant light over them and see if I can keep them, along with the hyacinths, too. Experimenting this winter with plants ...
Tomorrow if it's rainy, I'm going to make my "plant list" with what plants can stay, what needs to be put in the bottom, and what needs to come in the garage or basement. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are Crocosmia's and the hummingbirds love them. They can really take over a garden if you aren't careful. I pulled all mine up and gave away all but a few that I put in a pot. If I plant them in the ground again I will put them in their own little dug out circle so they can't go anywhere else.

I have them popping up everywhere, which I am enjoying, but got lots of land and not a formal type garden.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Country any plants that are suffering might just need more water. I think I read that Hibiscus like lots of water at least until they get established roots and then I think they become more drought tolerant. I would wait to fertilize them til maybe next Spring as it's kinda late in the season now. Don't know about Roses and fertilizer for now. I know they love Alfalfa meal and I add it in the Spring. The kind w/o the minerals. The mineral type is for rabbits. You can find it at farm co-op stores here. They sell the pellet type also but you have to mix that kind w/ water and then dig it in real good. That's why I like the meal cuz I can just dig it in the ground around the Rosebush and then water it in w/ a hose. If you see bugs you could find out what kind they are and use the right insecticide or go out at night w/ a flashlight and see whats crawling on them. If nothing then I would not bother w/ it cuz how would you know what to use?

Post a picture of your new tiny plants and maybe we will know what they are. Maybe Frogbit?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, you may have hit it on the nose with the hibiscus. I moved all the plants out of the bog to replace the water line, and it was really hard to try to get them back down into the pea gravel, so that pot may have been not as deep in the water as it had been before. And, I moved it back and forth several times trying to sick it lower, and may have damaged some of their roots which were coming out of the pot. I'm not too concerned, as this plant will die back and get brought into the garage as it is in the same pot with the Thalia. I think one or two other plants could stay outside, but will leave them all together for now. Next spring will be a chore to separate them into different pots. The hibiscus is a pond plant, but maybe other hibiscus could be as well. I bought it sitting in a pot under water, but as you said, they may have wanted more water! The roses, yes, I had not been watering them much. My Japanese Maple dropped 99% of its leaves, but the landscaper said as long as the branches are not brittle (they are very flexible still) it's not dead, just dropped leaves because of stress. I was watering it a lot, maybe too much, since I have somewhat heavy soil. I suspect it will come out of it by spring, so will not worry until then. I did have it in the pot for well over a month (maybe 2?) until I finally planted it, but watered it daily in the pot. Time will tell!
I will take pics of the tiny floating plant in the a.m. It has great root system, so I want to have more of it next spring to put in the pond. If the fish eat them, then I will keep at least part of them in the bog to multiply and then feed excess to the koi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here are the tiny floating plants that I got at the local pet shop. They were maybe 1" in diameter when I bought them (maybe smaller) and now are over 2" each plant, and have multiplied. I know he said they will not survive the winter, and you can see they are not as lush green because we had some 50 degree nights, but still doing fine. I will put them inside with a plant light overwinter to see how many I can produce by spring. :)
s Ark.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Remind me, GPF friends, can I feed until the water temp gets to 50 or 60? It's at about 65 now, but I am going to a wedding and having neighbor kids do my chores next weekend, so wondering if the temps is below 60 if I need to forego having them feed the fish. Thanks!!!

Ask a Question