spring flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
yes I have a house plant, that my mom gave a piece to my brother, who gave me a piece that I hauled from arizona back to maryland where it started. My sis in arizona has cuttings from plants my mom put in. The cycle continues.
Again, I'm commenting on stuff you all posted back in April! But, I got a few starts from my Grandmother's sedum probably 25 years ago. When I divorced, I made sure I took some with me to where I rented. Now I own a house, and brought them with me again. This summer, I gave starts of it to 2 of my sisters for their yards. It's wonderful to take plants and pass them on to generation after generation and know they have family meaning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Finally some Spring growth here too...............although it might hail or snow tomorrow here and I REALLY CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT!

Star Magnolia
IMG_1686.jpg

Rock Cress
IMG_1689.jpg

Pulmonaria
IMG_1692.jpg

Primrose
IMG_1691.jpg

Daffy's
IMG_1687.jpg

Hosta's finally trying to come up
IMG_1693.jpg

And last but not least my brand new palm I bought at Costco recently.
I love palms!!!
IMG_1651.jpg
JW, that Star Magnolia is very unique! Never seen one like it around here in IL, so maybe it is not hardy here in Zone 5. LOVE the Rock Cress, never seen that before either that I'm aware of. I think I just live in too small of an area, need to go to the big cities in the spring. :) And, I tried to grow primrose several years in a row, the company would replace the plants that did not grow, but I finally gave up. Plants would grow, but never bloom, and never came back like they were supposed to. Thanks for sharing! Again, sorry I'm responding so late in the year, but these spring flowers are giving me ideas for NEXT spring, and what I may want to plant this fall for next spring. :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Country; The magnolia should do all right in your area. We are in zone 5 and ours has grown to about 15" in 10 years or so, and gives a great display every spring. John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, what is the ground cover on the third picture? I've seen it before, and pulled it thinking it was a weed, as I had not planted it! Looks like it grows well. Can you give me a name for it? Thanks! BTW, too hot to be outside, so surfing the GPF old chats. :razz:

It was darn hot outside here too, heat index of 93, we were supposed to get storms got a non measure able sprinkle. But of course south and east of us got tons of rain.......

No clue country, it just comes up by itself. It looks ok, grows everywhere, starts dieing back as it get warmer, so I just let it be. If it is overtaking an area I yank some of it up, but there is so much of it, I tend to let it be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Finally got some sunshine which brought our more blooms :banana:

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg
JW, what is the third picture here, the pink flowers? I really like that, and I've been reading this post (all evening!) and writing down plants I want to check into getting next spring. The last pic is a calla lily, isn't it? Here, I have to dig them up, but I've never had luck growing them in the first place. Buy them ready to bloom, they bloom and then die. When I try to dig up the tubers, there is nothing there. I think my soil is too heavy and they rot before fall. :-(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country; The magnolia should do all right in your area. We are in zone 5 and ours has grown to about 15" in 10 years or so, and gives a great display every spring. John
Thanks, John! I will definitely watch for that next spring, probably have to go to a landscape place for that. I love trees and bushes that stay small. This will be perfect!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That one is called Phlox and it comes in different colors. You can grow it from seed from the store also and yes the last one is Calla Lily and it is hardy here but if it was any colder I would have to dig them up also.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love phlox, have white, deep purple/pink, and pink. It smells so good, blooms off and on all summer. Survives our winters.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Not exactly Spring blooms anymore but blooms just the same and so thought I'd share some before the dreaded winter rolls in on us in the not too distant future.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_2066.JPG
    IMG_2066.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 226

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful jw!
Let me introduce...............charlie

He lives between our neighbors shed and under our deck/garage. Loves the dropping apples

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Awww ... Charlie is adorable! Is it a squirrel? Or groundhog? Looks more like a squirrel, but too big ... :)
JW, awesome flower pics! Yes, cooler temps are heading our way, but we always have "Indian Summer" sometime in late Sept. or usually Oct. so I'm holding out for now. :)
And, I found the white flowering bush at my landscapers, JW, something like wedding bells or something like that (too lazy to look back in this thread!) and they can get it in a very nice size (about 3' tall) for $30, so that will be an addition in the spring. Have all winter to plan the area around the pond, and how I will expand the landscaping there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bridal wreath spirea country

That is our resident ground hog. I make certain it and my yorkie never meet, my yorkie would lose.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Country; I just happened to glance back at this post, and realized my mistake. The magnolia is 15 FEET tall, not 15 inches! If you were looking for a miniature, it probably isn't quite what you'd want. Sorry about that. John

Ask a Question