Spring frogs return

Reaction score
I can't wait to get my frogs back this year. I spotted one so far. I usually have three or four that roam the pond area. As long as I don't get any spring peeper or gray tree frogs, then I will be happy. Those suckers are loud!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I now have spotted frogs in 4 of my ponds, one little pond has two a small one and a 3x larger one.

They have one deep croak and don't croak that often. The tree frogs in the woods, now that is a different story, constant peeping lol

Reaction score
A few people mentioned the problems with the toads...a few thousand toads being stepped on and chopped up by the riding mower. I don't want that to happen so I catch those that come to breed and take them to a safer place.

Last year we had three different kinds of frogs but none laid eggs in the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
they luckily hang out near our pond, in the rocks, in the plants. So I have never chopped up with the mower, I do have to watch for the turtles that cross our lawn, they usually leave a nice trail that you can see. Rabbits occasionally nest in the grass, but so far not in our yard, but in our neighbors. I try to keep the grass low enough I can see the critters. Even swerve for honey bees lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nova said:
A few people mentioned the problems with the toads...a few thousand toads being stepped on and chopped up by the riding mower. I don't want that to happen so I catch those that come to breed and take them to a safer place.

Last year we had three different kinds of frogs but none laid eggs in the pond.

I have yet to see eggs or tad poles, these guys just showed up once there was water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me too addy swerving for tree frogs, bunnies, bees, misc. bugs, worms, catterpillars and anything that moves.......it's a wonder that I ever get done w/ mowing :cool:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Me too addy swerving for tree frogs, bunnies, bees, misc. bugs, worms, catterpillars and anything that moves.......it's a wonder that I ever get done w/ mowing :confused:

Hubby came home one day, I had mowed............. out in the field are un-mowed patches of buttercups................I told him too many butterflies were enjoying them to mow them down.........and the wild violets, and wild daisies.

Well mouseams, went out to the pond to see if I could spot any of the new fishes and now we have somewhere in / near the big pond one of those loud tree frogs, calling to all of the other tree frogs...........

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
LOL addy I can just picture it all. Too bad you didn't take a photo :lol:

He just shakes his head and sighs.............lol We have what I call a critter field, wild field, mow to just keep the grass somewhat under control field. The previous owners kept cows, emus, sheep goats a bunch of misc animals in that field. It is also our septic field, everything grows great down there. I have around 500 sq feet sort of plowed (ie dug up with tractor) once we warm up enough it will be planted with corn.

One area (on a slope) I dug up a circle of around 60 foot diameter, planted it with wildflower seeds, dug another area up around 600 feet and planted wildflower and critter seed. Critters get fed well here.

And those loud tree frogs moved into the pond area yesterday...............calling all their frog buddies to come. Maybe they will help keep the cricket population under control! Still have not seen the toads arrive.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mouseams, any clue what this one is? think it is one of the tree frogs.

DSC00174.jpg

It is the loudest frog of the pond..............

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Manged to catch him hanging on the liner.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's the woods tree frog. we have a very few here, more of the bright green ones. I think those sre cool, they can hop and blend into something in seconds. And YES they are loud!!!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He jumped into the pond as I was scooping out the snow............i.e. apple blossoms. Think he found a rock cranny to sit in that acts as a opera house, echos into our bedroom. Sits there and calls to all of the other frogs in the woods, hope they don't all come and join him/her

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok, so we picked up a couple of bull frog tadpoles when we got our Koi and Goldfish.

My question for those that know much about keeping frogs.

What the heck do you feed tadpoles? I read they eat off the bottom algae until they get their lungs and legs.

These are the biggest tadpoles I have ever seen, about the size of of a D cell battery.

I have read that they could eat fish as well. I don't want my baby Koi eaten by the frog, but don't want to give up on the bull frogs either. I should be worried about the neighborhood cats more than the frogs.

Any advice?

Ask a Question