Starting a pond, could use some guidance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It seems you can never have too much filtration, so your planned bog won't be too big.
A bog is a great way to filter your pond. We have a lot of bog advocates on here. There are also many threads detailing bog building, so look around.

On that subject, it is said a bog's surface area should be at least 30% of the pond's surface area if you are keeping fish.
So, it's not necessarily the amount of gallons in play, but more like surface area percentages.
I don't know why or how they come up with surface area instead of gallons, but that's mostly what everyone says.

In reference to the type of fish. I will agree with everyone else, your 750 gallon pond is too small for koi.

Look into the various types of goldfish. There are some really nice ones out there. Comets, fancy tailed and many others. I started my pond with feeder goldfish and most of them are still in there and it's been well over a decade.

Shubunkin are in the goldfish family and if you're not familiar with them you should check them out. They come in a variety of colors and usually have long beautiful flowing fins.

Have fun with your project and keep the questions coming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
you already know where you what to go. now you have to figure out how to get there.

with every design/idea you are going to need to do maintenance at some point in time, it's a given. figuring out how to go a longer distance before you need to do a complete over haul and cleaning on your bio filter is where most people fail. up flow vs down flow. as a rule of thumb a up flow with a negative edge ie waterfall or other. water is dropping to another level is the better choice but the maintenance is more labor intensive.

flow rate and bio load is VERY important on a bio filter. too much, to little, to fast, to slow all effect on how well they work. its not a fits all system.

we have ALL made mistakes some of then have set us back quite a bit financially. (speaking of myself)

since you are from Texas and I don't think you have to deal with a deep freeze but you will have to think about heat transfer from all systems combined. last thing you need to deal with is water temps reaching over 90+ so think about exposure and prevention in this area.

don't want to sound mean or heartless buy any means but many advanced "home pond builders" have posted massive "how to's" to name a few @addy1, @poconojoe, @GBBUDD and many many more. all have a different approach to reach the same results. beautiful show pieces with a great living environment for there pets..... I mean fish.

all you have to do is search, read, think, read, and repeat and if your like us here you will over think everything to the point of confusion.

this is not rocket science but it is somewhat complex.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The regs on this site have said time and time again that there is no you MUST do this or you must do that. There is no percentage THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED. but what there is is a average of what has worked for others. If you have a light fish load you can get away with a smaller filter a lower flow. If you load up with koi there may not be enough filtration that will make for a healthy environment in a small amount of water regardless how many filters you put on the pond. It's a matter of how good is the basis of the water that is being used. If your starting off with a poor water quality as your base it will be much harder to maintain a healthy environment. No two systems are the same for the most part here.
Go to koipenn and find a bald raised pond with a drum filter and both systems are the same gallons and filter then ok you might have success following the play book.

We have only shared what has worked for our selves, and what we have seen work for others. Besides following ANY information on the internet especially social media and not doing your own homework is a foolish idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I was planning on running a pump from the drain on the pond over the top and to the bottom of the bog. That way I could still use the drain at the bottom of the bog to clean out excess severe that collects at the bottom.
I’ll throw out the route I’d go, but by no means does that mean you have to take my recommendation.

I’d hard plumb the bottom of your pond with PVC with either a koi pond drain in the center or a gravel style drain similar to that of bog plumbing. That plumbing would connect and exit from the drain plug at the bottom of your pond. After you exit the pond I’d use pvc going out and make T connections with ball valves. that way you get the abililty to drain the pond for quick water change if ever necessary. From there you plumb into your AIO pump or whatever pump you decide to go with and plumb to the drain of the bog. Same thing applies right before the bog connection. More T connections and ball valves for quick cleaning of the bog if ever necessary. Then hard plumb the bottom of the bog from its drain and allow the bog to overflow waterfall style back in into your pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a 1000 gl and a 300 gallon stock tank partially buried in my pond system. I used rock dust under them, totally leveled compacted. That stuff does not move. I had a load brought in when I was digging a hole and putting in our 500 gl propane tank. They said to use rock dust. Had some left over and used it under the tanks. Works well.

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ll throw out the route I’d go, but by no means does that mean you have to take my recommendation.

I’d hard plumb the bottom of your pond with PVC with either a koi pond drain in the center or a gravel style drain similar to that of bog plumbing. That plumbing would connect and exit from the drain plug at the bottom of your pond. After you exit the pond I’d use pvc going out and make T connections with ball valves. that way you get the abililty to drain the pond for quick water change if ever necessary. From there you plumb into your AIO pump or whatever pump you decide to go with and plumb to the drain of the bog. Same thing applies right before the bog connection. More T connections and ball valves for quick cleaning of the bog if ever necessary. Then hard plumb the bottom of the bog from its drain and allow the bog to overflow waterfall style back in into your pond.
Thank you for that information. I think I will follow your recommendation for plumbing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for your recommendations, advice, warnings, and suggestions. After talking with my son we have ‘seen the light’ so to speak. We have decided to just go with goldfish instead of Koi. I will update once we get everything setup and figured out. Thank you again!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look at shubunkins, beautiful colors, called poor mans koi. That is what I have. I do have the water room for koi, no desire to have koi.

Some of mine. A few have become snake food, heron food etc
20160912_122713.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Look at shubunkins, beautiful colors, called poor mans koi. That is what I have. I do have the water room for koi, no desire to have koi.

Some of mine. A few have become snake food, heron food etc
View attachment 155794
Those are really beautiful. My son actually loves Ranchu Goldfish. We have a 55 gallon tank inside with Ranchus as well as orandas and other goldfish. We also have a 20 gallon with fancy goldfish, and another 20 gallon with black moors and orandas. A third 20 gallon is being setup for something different, but I don’t know what yet.

Attachments

• F28F46D3-8E42-48FC-9E5D-6F2C05EEC2B7.jpeg
    F28F46D3-8E42-48FC-9E5D-6F2C05EEC2B7.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 70744955-3C35-49F7-B8B0-FA77C302AC87.jpeg
    70744955-3C35-49F7-B8B0-FA77C302AC87.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 0797DA37-603F-42A6-83C1-09C5059C07CA.jpeg
    0797DA37-603F-42A6-83C1-09C5059C07CA.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 4

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I keep easy to care for, cheap, fish. Been fighting a snake invasion for a few years. So far loss about 200 to snakes. I know because I bought over 200 last year, do not have that many now.

Traps out as soon as it starts to warm up again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Jorgensensc @addy1 has some of those fancy fat fish w/the fan tails outside in one of her ponds so maybe you could also. Have to protect the fish from sneaky snakes and herons etc. w/a net otherwise bye bye! Snakes could prolly lift a net so would need to be small weave and tight or get snake traps like addy has. There is a whole big thread or more on here about her snake fiasco! I'm sure it will continue this Spring when the weather warms up. Check out the links below:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/frog-population-decreasing-think-i-found-the-reason.29028/

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/1-19-caught-20-21-showed-up-not-the-big-one.31304/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I keep easy to care for, cheap, fish. Been fighting a snake invasion for a few years. So far loss about 200 to snakes. I know because I bought over 200 last year, do not have that many now.

Traps out as soon as it starts to warm up again.
Go the opposite direction get some fish the size of herons . no snake could eat a 20 inch koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was just reminded of something I read that someone used cinnamon to deter snakes - not sure where or who or how... very helpful I know! @addy1 - have you heard this suggestion? I would guess like most of these solutions, you'd have to reapply frequently for it to make an impact.

Ask a Question