addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The 1000 gallon pond had around 8 resident green frogs, today I saw none. But as I walked up to the pond a tail went into the water.

I think we have a resident snake enjoying the frog snacks. Darn healthy looking! Caught it on the pond cam!
nvr travel_LOREX_main_20210501101522_@3.jpg
nvr travel_LOREX_main_20210501102303_@3.jpg
nvr travel_LOREX_main_20210501102413_@3.jpg
nvr travel_LOREX_main_20210501102420_@3.jpg
nvr travel_LOREX_main_20210501102429_@3.jpg
nvr travel_LOREX_main_20210501102504_@3.jpg

DRYing in the sun, color really changes
nvr travel_LOREX_main_20210501103832_@3.jpg
nvr travel_LOREX_main_20210501111207_@3.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Cool, as long as he leaves the fish alone. I always get too many frogs moving in during the summer storms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, healthy looking indeed ! Envious of your parrots feather, mine didn't come back this year and I'm not about to beg it - LOL !

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looks like a northern water snake. We had several here, easy to confuse with copperhead. They are not poisonous but really agressive and a nasty bite!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd move him somewhere else if it were me. Would not want to get bit and would not want him/her eating all my frogs!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got a better picture through our windows standing on a stool. Camera at max zoom.

Not sure if it will eat fish, but might. I loss a lot of the fish in the 1000 gallon pond to a heron a few years back have not replaced any, letting them repopulate on their own.

@j.w nah he/she is allowed to stay, part of nature. I still have frogs making noise in the big pond, the loop ponds , deck ponds and the stream.

@mrsclem the snake has shown it rather run, this is the third time I have seen a tail disappearing. Only got the pictures via the cams.
IMG_4071 (2).JPG

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, healthy looking indeed ! Envious of your parrots feather, mine didn't come back this year and I'm not about to beg it - LOL !
Pictures through the window, the bees are fired up we just inspected so not going outside right now.

This is the return of it in the loop pond, shallow freezes hard, this year maybe a few inches of ice. I will need to purge some soon.

Two other ponds it is coming back gang busters also.
IMG_4073.JPG

Here it is in the hot tub pond, red stem

IMG_4074.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you still going into the pond and trim your water lilies with your resident snake?
yeah, not too worried (hubby worried more than I am) I will try to see if it is around or not. Make enough noise movement they usually move on.

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well fed little fatty!

You are braver than me!
Snakes, I used to catch and scare all the other girls, (girl scout camp) I have always liked snakes. Spiders................keep them away from me! Walk into a web I freak out!

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yeah, not too worried (hubby worried more than I am) I will try to see if it is around or not. Make enough noise movement they usually move on.
soon you'll be tellin' us you have a snake suit, too...;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Spiders are my friends! I like to scare my hubby w/them and I have to walk through the trail first to make sure they are gone for him.
1619906051367.gif

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That is a fat snake, agree with @mrsclem, a northern water snake. They are quite adept a catching fish too, hopefully it is getting its fill on all your frogs.

Have a garter snake hanging around the pond eating the juvenile frogs, even with me out there working on the pond addition I have seen it a few times hanging out with a bulge in the middle of its body.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even a rattle snake given the opportunity will flee 90 % of the time even big grizzlies if you make noice let them know I w your in the area they will prefer to walk away from us.
That is one extremely healthy northern water snake. Yes they can too be agressive but only if they feel threatened and you surpris them. It certainly has been eating very well. I found a similar one dead it the road no damage to it it was just dead. I picked it up and placed it coiled up in my glove box which was a 1977 grand marqui. Huge glove box if I remember correctly it held a six pack if not more. Any ways it asked tge then girl friend to get something out of the glove box while driving and I should have stopped before I asked as I thought she was going to jump right out the window but went for the back seat at the last minute ...close call. The head was tucked up so when the box dropped the head dropped only after the box was just about all the way open it was perfect so perfect I paid for it for over a week no nookie for that teenager for a while. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Aww! You have a Nessie! We had a small Northern Water Snake in pond residence all last year & were wondering if she was going to show back up again. Well, a couple of days ago Nessie not only returned...
Nessie 04.JPG

She brought a friend with her!!!
Nessie 03.JPG
Nessie 05.JPG

I spent time wallowing around in the pond this afternoon, & disturbed one of our Nessies. She swam away from where I was actively working, but then climbed out to sun herself on a rock within a couple feet of where I was working. Obviously she's not terribly afraid of us silly humans. If she (and/or her friend) stay on for a couple of years, I might have to relocate them. Until then, I absolutely adore my little snakey friends! They can snack on all the tadpoles they want! (We're over run with frog at this point)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think snakes will hang here unfortunately. I think the smell of dog everywhere would push them toward the pond across the street. We know when something new comes in the yard both dogs let us know as soon as we step outside.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't think snakes will hang here unfortunately. I think the smell of dog everywhere would push them toward the pond across the street. We know when something new comes in the yard both dogs let us know as soon as we step outside.
My dogs & snakes have come to a mutual 'ignore each other' agreement. We have SO many snakes around the house, yard & pond that the dogs pretty much pay them no attention, so consequently the snakes pay the dogs no mind either. It works, especially since we have a lot of Copperheads & I don't want the dogs messing with them & getting a nosey nose bitten. (Those are the only snakes we actively relocate, for that reason)

Ask a Question