Steps to winterizing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
They are predicting a warmer and drier winter here in Illinois this year thanks to El Nino. As miserable as the past two winters have been (plus cool and damp springs that followed), all that snow that melted into the ground was great for spring gardening, it kept the pond fairly full (I only had to put water in a few times due to winter evaporation) and the lawns greened up quickly and stayed green with very minimal watering all summer into fall. I could use a break from near-daily shoveling, salting, snowblowing, scraping, shivering... lots of S words associated with snow... LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We didn't get much snow, did get the really low temps, that is what killed off a bunch of our plants.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I use window screening to keep stuff from being blown in the pond and don't have a skimmer but turn off bigger pumps and put 1000 gph pump in and put heater above the pump and it has always worked for me .It catches all the finer stuff as you can see when I mow the grass on a windy day what it catches .
Made up my leaf screen today, just need to attach screen. I have a locust that hangs partially over the water and a Ash tree close enough to drop leaves. The locust is already tossing leaves around. I only plan on using it till the leaves have dropped then I'll take it off.
Thank you sissy for showing how easy it really is (y) What about my sky today??

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 322

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Will that thing float?? If it does that kind of a great idea for me.
I'm sure one could be made to, I didn't glue the joints so mine would fill with water. But you could just put small swim/boating buoys on it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used metal pipe for mine on the ends where it sits on the boards but on the bridge I had to use pvc so it would conform to the bridge .The metal pipe is stiffer and I also have pipes across my pond that i have my pumps tied to and all i do is pull the pipe to me and pump comes with it .The pipe extends out to where the bananas are

Attachments

• pond august 19 2015 video also 055.JPG
    pond august 19 2015 video also 055.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 235
  • pond sept 2015 002.JPG
    pond sept 2015 002.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 199
  • pond sept 2015 011.JPG
    pond sept 2015 011.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 249

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pool noodles sliced open and stuck around pvc pipe would make it float
I'm sure one could be made to, I didn't glue the joints so mine would fill with water. But you could just put small swim/boating buoys on it.
I used pool noodles sliced on the top of my extension ladder protects my siding

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's a good idea. I'm considering some type of netted raft that would allow me to blow the needles off of it while the tree sheds then pull it out. I'm heading to Lowe's today for other supplies so might look into the cost of doing something like that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pool noodles you can get end of season sale ,the ones at the dollar store fit tight on the pvc and sometimes to tight .The ones at walmart are really good because they are over sized .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I would like to raise it out of the water just a bit. Thinking large kids balls might work tethered under a pvc frame covered with window screening. I can pull the window screening all the way to the ground essentially giving me a ramp to blow the leaves off the pond. I only need it until the tree sheds most of it's needles.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true and a good idea since the ball will just roll on top of the water and if it doesn't work it is a cheap fix any ways :)

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Yeah kinda what I'm thinking. We will see how motivated I can get before they start falling.
You don't have much time.. When you get done you can surely relax:pand enjoy a beverage:giggle:

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 220

Ask a Question