Steps to winterizing

Reaction score
I live in Maryland and I have a pond that is 900 gallons, has a water fall, and has a rubber liner. I put a small heater in the pond last winter to make sure there was an oxygen exchange. I have cattails, lizard tail, yellow flag, pickerel weed, about two types of water lilies, a lotus, and arrow arum in the pond. All are in pots. Fish include about 7-8 fish: koi, two fantails, and about 4 Eastern Darters. The pond is under a couple of large trees: an oak, tulip poplar, and white pine. Can anyone list the steps I should take to winterize the pond?

On another note, I recently realized that the water in my pump/skimmer area drops to about 50% of recommended volume and I hear the pump sucking in air. I am wondering if I may have a leak. Is it recommended to remove the water plants over the winter? I question whether after 4 years of leaving my potted plants in the pond may have allowed the roots to penetrate the liner as the roots have burst through some of the plastic pots. Any insight is appreciated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I had moles chew through mine but I really think it is your plants just being thirsty .Had a banana plant in each filter and they were sucking up 4 to 6 inch's of water a day . No leak but plants in heat get thirstier

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I live close to you in RI. so fairly similar winter. Here is what I do

1) I clean as much debris off the bottom, no the blanket algae just the few leaves etc. and cut back all the water plants.

2) I shut down all the pumps

3) I clean all my bio filters and filter pads, then drain them completely ( I do not need to drain my lines because my system is all gravity fed)

4) I completely empty my skimmer (uv lights, filter pad, leaf basket etc) and close the weir door. I then fill the skimmer with pool noodles.

5) I put my pumps in the deep area of the pond (3ft) and just leave them in for the winter ( not the plug ends )

6) I move my to air stones a bit closer to each other and closer to the surface (about a foot down) and leave them on for the winter 24/7 so there is always a hole in the surface.

7) I shovel the snow off my pond also just so the sun can hit the pond a bit.

This has worked well for me, but there are more ways also and I am sure you will get more advise from others here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave all my plants in the pond, I do trim them back. Pull my external pump, stick in a pond breather and done. Well got to clean the pond also.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
5) I put my pumps in the deep area of the pond (3ft) and just leave them in for the winter
Good idea RobAmy. I think I will try that this year. I usually bring my pump inside and place it in a bucket of distilled water. Keeping it in the pond will be less of a hassle.

Reaction score
1 remove the pump and check valve (all the lines drain will drain by gravity) and take the pump in the house.
2 remove the UV light and take it in the house.
3 drain and clean the filter leaving all lines open.
4 cut back the plants and put them deeper in the pond.
5 install the air stones.
6. leave the leaf net on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
We left our pump and waterfall running all last winter with no issues. We have two de-icers we plugged in right in front of the skimmer box to keep things from completely freezing over--a low-wattage one to start with, and then the high-watt one once the air temperature stays below freezing. The high-watt one uses a LOT of electricity, so I do unplug it when we catch a few warmer days during the winter.

Other than that... definitely get as much of the leaves/tree debris out as possible before winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use window screening to keep stuff from being blown in the pond and don't have a skimmer but turn off bigger pumps and put 1000 gph pump in and put heater above the pump and it has always worked for me .It catches all the finer stuff as you can see when I mow the grass on a windy day what it catches .

Attachments

• pond sept 2015 008.JPG
    pond sept 2015 008.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 315

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I use window screening to keep stuff from being blown in the pond and don't have a skimmer but turn off bigger pumps and put 1000 gph pump in and put heater above the pump and it has always worked for me .It catches all the finer stuff as you can see when I mow the grass on a windy day what it catches .
I just got my PVC today, already have screen, gonna make it tomorrow? .maybe

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We just, well... we don't do anything to get ready for winter actually. We leave our pond running so there's really nothing special to do. I leave most of my marginal plants alone until spring - even dead, they help keep leaves and debris from blowing into the pond and the leaves that collect around them help to insulate the plants through the long cold winter. Having the dead foliage also helps me remember what I have growing where until things get started in the spring. (Old people brain!)

I do cry a little every year - it's so sad to see the pond end another season...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how true more pressure from more people to force mother nature to change her habits and then we need to have a good talk with her about the early sunsets .But have to admit the snow is needed

Ask a Question