Sticky Doc Bio Filter

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the weir? How wide is the opening? As long as the flow from the weir into the pond is greater then the flow from the filter to the weir it should work. Probably twice the size outlet on the weir .

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
damian said:
oops, that was a crosspost.

eta i will take your word for it, since yours works!

How much water will you be pumping? With my current setup(those two and a third) I could probable have them sit even height. The extra barrel slowed down flow through the mech/bio setup.

Reaction score
koidaddy said:
Do you have a pic of the weir? How wide is the opening? As long as the flow from the weir into the pond is greater then the flow from the filter to the weir it should work. Probably twice the size outlet on the weir .

i don't have the weir yet. i wanted to nail the science down before i picked one because i noticed they have the bottom inlet, and for some reason i always thought you dumped into them from the top.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
damian said:
the pond will be 6000 gallons, and i'm targeting recyling once per hour.
Ok, at 6000 gallons an hour your might have an issue. I am pumping @3500 gallons through mine. Worse case is you install a ball valve into the filter line that you can controll the flow into the filter and tee off the excess into a spray bay or other water feature..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
damian said:
i've included a competely awesome picture i drew to demonstrate my concern.

it seems like with the inlet at the bottom like this, the weight of the water in the weir as it fills would prevent additional water from being received. i.e. the water exiting the doc filter would be fighting against the pressure of the water in the weir and instead overflow the doc filter.

waterfallexample.jpg

As long as the waterfall weir is lower than the exit pipe from the doc filter, it will flow, it has to.
Gravity 101

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Just one roll, cut in two so it was twice as long, half as wide. I laid them on top of each other and rolled them back up. It does not sit in the 55 gallon drum very concentric, but it does not have to for the aerobic bacteria to do it's job.

Nice. It is SO easy to build one of these filters. Thanks for doing the research and making things easy for the rest of us. It is much appreciated. Makes me wonder though... think something like this could ever be used for sewage?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
damian said:
Fluid dynamics are not that simplistic.

Fluid dynamics offers a systematic structure that underlies these practical disciplines, that embraces empirical and semi-empirical laws derived from flow measurement and used to solve practical problems. The solution to a fluid dynamics problem typically involves calculating various properties of the fluid, such as velocity, pressure, density, and temperature, as functions of space and time.

Very little of this applies. Gravity prevails unless you are introducing a resistance in the waterfall weir, such as sub filters (which are not necessary). If the weir overflow is lower than the bio filter overflow, water will flow.

Reaction score
maybe fluid mechanics is a better term. what i'm thinking about specifically is hydrostatic pressure, which is a term i forgot about until someone else pointed it out to me a few minutes ago.

Ask a Question