Stock tank versus Barrel

Reaction score
I would like to assist my husband in building a filter. There are so many options and differences it is a little overwhelming.

My 1st question is what are the pros and cons for using a stock tank versus a barrel.

My ponds is 1800 gallon and in dire need of more filtration. I currently have a 3200 gph pump. Also, I am using a FishMate pressurized pond filter with a 13 watt UV.
The fishmate just doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

I want a pond filter for Mother's Day but I have to have EXACT plans or my hubby will NOT help me with this project.

Is my pump too big for a DIY filter. I really don't want to dump unfilter water back into the pond. That is what I am doing now and I think it might one of my many problems.

HELP please!

Reaction score
You can do either one with equal benefits. A 55g barrel is for 1500g ponds. If you've got 1800 gals, then you'd need tw0 barrels or 1 single 100g stock tank.

My hubby doesn't help me with my projects either. So, welcome to the club!

I just bought a 150 gallon stock tank and will be detailing pics on how to plumb it in the next week. We already have instructions for plumbing barrels on the DIY section of the forum. THey are stickied right to the top of the page.

We will certainly help you. They are super easy to build!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have made them both and am getting better results with my barrell setup. I am using my 150 stock tank for my lillies right now so the koi dont eat them all but it is still filtering some. This is just my experience.
On the pump it all depends on the application. You could always split the line somewhere with a ball valve and divert water elsewhere if you find it being to much.

Reaction score
Koikeeper and I am looking forward to you posting step by step pictures. I am going to go to all the local store discount stores and try to collect as many scrubbies as I can. From what I have read that seems to be the most popular filter. I am sure I will need more but that is a start.
Also, Koikeeper, please keep a journal of what you purchase to complete your system.

Reaction score
It's gonna take a ton of scrubbies to fill a stock tank!

I am filling mine with 1/2" poly strapping. You could buy filter pads, like Matala to perfectly fit the inside of your stock tank. DoDad here on this site sells Matala pads. You can see my pond build thread on the construction forum here. Just click on the My 5,000g pond build thread. I show my filter media. For me, this stock tank is a pure bio filter. You are doing both mechanical and bio in yours. So, you would do the same build I am, except you would put matala mats on the bottom of yours under the strapping.

I will take very detailed shots and give an account of materials! Promise!

Ask a Question