String algae and sludge on waterfall

Reaction score
For removing string algae from inside the pond I nail 2 lengths of 1"x1" wood together in the middle with a single nail, all the way thru and the point hammered over. Kind of a scissors chop sticks deal. Open a bit and stick it down into the algae, close and spin like spaghetti on a fork. In one pond it seemed like every bit of algae...along with leaves, pots, stones, came out in one ball. Had to be 100 lbs. 2 minutes. Owner was amazed...as was I. Not all species are so easy.

I like the sticks because I always have scrap wood around and I can make them as long as I need. Best of all wood doesn't sink. Nothing like staring down into 6' of water looking at a handy tool on the bottom. Or standing in line at the store buying a second pair, getting the same checker, and them asking "Wow, you buy a lot of these" followed by "Why are you so grumpy?"

Which reminds me of another useful tool.
218K8NQ7BBL._SX385_.jpg

Lots of different kinds. These also end up on the bottom sometimes.

I prefer hands for waterfalls.

Ask a Question