String algea or something like it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yesterday in passing the pond while mowing I noticed the pond was getting alot of green growth on the sides and to me looks like string algea Kinda pretty but needless to say I pulled what I could out and found that the kids had kids...(found 4 3/4" lil guys) to my amazement. I'm thinking with the 3 big rains we had in the past few weeks this stuff decided it wanted to grow as I haven't had any problems with anything since getting the pond running this past July. That stuff was all but clogging up my big pump too. I figured I best clean up what I could get out of the pond since it is fall and about time to take in plants and get the kids pond ready for winter here. Oh and the pond was COLDDDD while I was in it for about 30 mins...um not going to do that again for that long as my legs, feet and hands/arms were froze! I haven't been feeding the fish for the past week since our temps have been getting lower, heck I wouldn't want to eat in cold water either! Temps here have varied between 57 to 80 daytime and 43 to 50's at night. Ah fall...argh.
I'm still debating if I can just leave my lotus in the pond at a deeper level or to just bring them in to sit in a bucket of water all winter for next spring. I will bring my black tarot in and have already brought in my banana trees and elephant ears.QUESTION: does duck weed stay living during the winter or should that be brought in too? I have it in another container, not in my pond though. The hyacinths are probably just going to have to die cuz I see they are not doing as good since it got colder on some of the days/nights. Also where do you folks find wheat germ? Our earl mays does not have any in the fish section, although the fish seem to have enough to munch on if they wanted to with that stuff growning on the sides of the pond and aren't as enthusiastic about rushing to the surface for food (which I'm not giving them anymore) to beg.

Reaction score
Funny you shbould mention the string algae as it just developed in my pond as well. I had a problem with is this Spring too. I wonder if it is related to the cooler water temperature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That or all the rain we have had as we've had 2" (each time it's rained) three times and alotttt of wind now in the past few weeks. That and my pond is now mostly shaded during the day by two nearby trees. Other than that the water is clear.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Think I need to by a toilet brush just for the pond to clean out anymore as it comes because that water is COLD!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Wheat germ may be marketed as Spring/Fall food, depending on the manufacturer. You should be able to get it where you buy your regular fish food.
John

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
This is my first winter with duck weed in the pond. I'm going to leave mine outside. If they don't make it, I have plenty (too much) in the indoor tanks to transfer back out in the Spring.

Reaction score
rebelangel_3733 said:
That or all the rain we have had as we've had 2" (each time it's rained) three times and alotttt of wind now in the past few weeks. That and my pond is now mostly shaded during the day by two nearby trees. Other than that the water is clear.
Good point. We also had a good amount of rain, but not as much as you. I dont get any runoff though as my pond is elevated a small amount. And my water is also looking extra clear too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Yes, string algae does like cold water temps. Also, when the water gets cooler the growth of the plants growth slows down and/or the plants are taken out of the pond, which results in more nutrients in the pond for the cold water-loving string algae to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I dont get any run off in the pond...it was just the downpour of the rain we had that likes to fill it up and over abit out the side drain I made. We warmed up here again for the week but eventually it will stay cool by the end of this month

Reaction score
Me too with the sting algae didnt have it before and I too found babies hiding in it. What is it good for when you pull it out? Like can you feed it to chickens or use it for mulch?

Ask a Question