SUmp pump as part of filtration set up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Can you use a sump pump as a pond pump? I have a nice one siting at my old house in MD and was considering bring it back to OH to use in the new pond set up. Possibly in a gravity fed mechanical filter and then it would pup up to my bio filter abovethe planned new (and larger) pond.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
My grandpa told me his neighbor uses one in thier pond.... and has to replace it every year or two. For the life of me I dont know why they think thats a better deal, maybe they bought some low quality pond pumps when they first started thier pond and they didnt last much longer than a year. I know he said they run them on a timer so they dont run all the time.

IMO I'd take it with me.... but im a packrat, and I'd save anything, lol. But maybe you could incorporate it for a water feature that doesnt run all the time, just something you turn on when your are out there. But I sure wouldnt run it for your main pump for your filters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cheaper pumps are not always made cheap and I know because I have one that cost me 10 dollars at harbor freight and it is around 8 years old and is 450 gph and 5 more that range from 940 gph to 1268 gph and my neighbor has one because her expensive pump she paid 300 dollars for keep going out and she keeps sending it back for repairs and they repair or say they do and within a day or 2 it is not working again.She is using one of my 940 gph pumps and loves it .I had the 5 dollar warranty for 3 years and one burned out and was my fault and they replaced it and did not even ask why it burned out .Low water burned it out as Aggie my koi knocked it sideways and pump was spitting the water out of the pond .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Just my two cents' worth; I've had two sump pumps because they were on sale, and one runs my turtle pond for about six months a year and during that time it runs non-stop. Still going, and it's about 15 years old or maybe more. The other pump didn't last three years.... so that's a risk you take.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bet the older pump was made better as I can see the new pumps they make are not made to last .I use my sump pump or dirty water pump in the bottom of my filter to pump out the gunk as the valve is hard to get to.The only thing is they do use more electric to run .I have an older one and a new one and looking at the way they are built you can see the older one is built much better and is also heavier.I used the energy use meter

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the problem with sump pumps is they ARE NOT made to run continuously. they are manufactured for short term intermitten use...not to mention they use much more power than a pond pump. so the gamble is greater for the longevity of the pump

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Good point, Sissy, but the two pumps were purchased about a year apart, so they should have been roughly equal in quality. Also, I have no idea how much electricity they use. There is a product on the market now that you plug into the outlet, then plug the pump or whatever into it, and it tells you how much current the appliance actually uses. I'll be looking for one of those before long!
John

Ask a Question