Sump Pumps...?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So Im sure this has been covered before, but I would like to dig this topic back up to see what the future holds in my Pump Decisions. My Question is, Are Sump Pumps or Utility Pumps made to run 24/7? I mean, for the price per GPH and HP and 1/2" solid debris pass through it is a steal, so if anyone uses one or has had experience with them and what brands to get, please do tell and share, Thanks :)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
They're meant to be an intermittent pump, not continuous. Additionally, due to the solid waste handling capability, they're generally direct-drive. For energy efficiency, I think you're better off sticking with a magnetic drive.

Then again, for the price of them........why not give it a shot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Morewater, Thats all I need to hear! Energy savings, thinking about going with a Laguna Debris Handling Pump now

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Much like you, I was young once and cash was in short supply, so when I saw a sump pump on sale for about half price, I figured I'd give it a try. That was at least 25 years ago, and the pump still runs, although I did replace the capacitor about five years ago. I guess I got my money's worth, although I'm sure it sucked up a lot more electricity than a modern pond pump would. A second sump pump purchased some years later, however, burned out in its second season. Both were used to feed filters, so they ran non-stop.
John

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've been using AquaSurge pumps for a couple of years now, mainly because that's what my supplier pushes. Haven't had any problems with them.

Then again, last year I had a pump choke on me and when I was at Princess Auto, saw a pond pump (4000gph) for cheap. All stainless steel. Good warranty from the place. What the hell, bought it, I'll run it.....if I get 5 years out of it, it'll owe me nothing.

Anything mechanical or electrical is a crap shoot in the end, I figure. Some are more reputable than others.....blah, blah, blah......industrial stuff is tougher and lasts longer, but it costs a lot more...anything that has the word "pond" attached to it costs more than something that's not for that specific application.

I figure, hey.....it's a pump, not a truck. If it chokes in a year, I'll get a new one under warranty.

Now, if you ran a sump pump continuously for an application that it's not designed for, it's not like the distributor knows that it was running a pond.

Hum "Amazing Grace" when you return it and your conscience will be clear. The margin on that stuff......sheesh.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
laguna bought by me a couple of moths ago and now it hit another sweet spot and is using 102 watts of power and it is a 2900 gph so can't beat that .I know i am happy .Seems the bigger the hose is and the less restrictions make it save more energy .I know only have it connected to 1 hose to my water fall filter and just 1 short split off for the waterfall

Ask a Question