Sun Sun 55W UV

Reaction score
Nope no mechanical filter. Just a waterfall filter on my larger pump and a bio filter on my smaller pump.

So you recommend 1900gph into the UV, then out of the UV to the biofilter, then back into the pond?

Reaction score
yep, your bio will have to do mechanical as well and you will simply have to clean much more often!!

Its gots go somewhere, or its going to the bottom of the pond rotting, eating oxygen up, and polluting the water.

Reaction score
So if i do switch it tonight and put my UV right after my pump, does anyone recommend running it from my UV through a biofilter, or do i just run it straight from the uv back into the pond?

Reaction score
my UV is set up as follows:

pump==>stock tank filter==>6-way manifold with 1 of the manifolds split off for the UV.

Not sure if that helps you any. You want the UV to be flowing clean water after the filter--not dirty water before the filter.

Reaction score
so from what i have researched if i use my 1900gph pump witha prefilter into my 55W UV light, the directly back into my 2500G pond it should clear up in just a few days?

I really have hardly any string algea, just murky and somedays has a green tint to the water...

Also keep in mind i have a 3600gph pump that powers my waterfall that is connected to a filter as well.

Reaction score
I currently run my UV off a seperate pump then my filter, so i have a pump that runs into my UV then back into my pond no filtration before UV. It has cleared up my water from pea green to able to see the bottom. It might take a little bit longer to clear up if you are not useing "clean" water. But in terms of what is easier for you to plumb your UV either way will work.

Reaction score
Yea thats how i set it up last night.

I did a 25% water change, have my smaller pump that has a cgae on the intake so no larrge debris/rocks get sucked into it, going staright into my UV

My other large pump is running through that new tetra waterfall filter...Not sure if thats enough filteration or not...but it is turning my pond over hourly...

Reaction score
yea I would put it before you BIO that will resolve your problem, if you dont want to do that you can alway do a T like Koikeeper said, thats how I had it until I put in a second pump

Reaction score
O NO!!

My pond was really starting to clear up, I measured about 20 inch of visability. This morning i noticed no water coming out of my UV tube, my 1900 gph tetra pump shaft had broke...Ordered a new part, wont be here for a week....

Do you think the water will turn green again before the part gets in??

Reaction score
it could if its really hot where you are. But it will clear up again when you get the UV cranked again.

I'm doing a little personal experiment with my UV as well. Since koiguy says he turns his on for a week and puts his away--I turned off my UV 3 days ago and I want to see how long it will take (or if) I have to turn it on again. Of course, I live in NC, so I'm assuming I'll have to turn it back on shortly. We'll see...

Ask a Question