Switching pumps

Reaction score
Should I switch from my laguna pump to a smaller one before it get to cold to get it out? We usually don't get really cold here. I have seen my pond froze over, but never with fish in it, just frogs and salamanders. I also have a bell fountainhead on my pump. Could I just take that off and let the pump churn the water?

When should I stop the filter? I know it's not doing anything but removing some of the small stuff in the water.

Sorry so long.

Thanks
Steve

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you don't really freeze over, just running something to circulate the water a little will probably be enough, (from what i have read, this is my first pond in the cold) not speaking from experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Steve, You can probably switch to an air pump with an air stone about midway down your pond close to the center. That worked for me down to zero degrees last winter where I'm at. Once it froze over completely and I had to plug in my de-icer. The airstone will keep a hole in the surface so bad gases can escape and where you are at it should work fine without anything else. Once the water gets below 40 degrees you probably want to turn the pump off and switch to the airstone. This is because the fish will go down to the bottom where a more dense layer of water of 38 degrees sits and they are ok there. If your pump is still on then the 38 degree water is disturbed and the fish will get too cold. Now where you at maybe it doesn't get that cold, but thats what we do up here!

Ask a Question