tank vs pond

Reaction score
So our trip to the nursury and stone quarry was eventful. we bought around 50 tons of stone to build our new patio and pond feature. of course we had to go look at their koi selections and we found three small ones that we realllly want, but the pond wont be done for atleast 3 weeks, maybe four. I have a 35 gallon tank in teh office with guppies that we were going to use to cycle the pond but Im wondering if we could go buy the koi and put them in teh 35 gallon for these few weeks. then we'd be able to watch them and make sure they arn't sick and that they are eating properly. currently there is a heater and power head and over the back filter on teh tank which seems to be doign everyone just fine.

should we bring them home? :beerchug:

Reaction score
ctrgojo said:
So our trip to the nursury and stone quarry was eventful. we bought around 50 tons of stone to build our new patio and pond feature. of course we had to go look at their koi selections and we found three small ones that we realllly want, but the pond wont be done for atleast 3 weeks, maybe four. I have a 35 gallon tank in teh office with guppies that we were going to use to cycle the pond but Im wondering if we could go buy the koi and put them in teh 35 gallon for these few weeks. then we'd be able to watch them and make sure they arn't sick and that they are eating properly. currently there is a heater and power head and over the back filter on teh tank which seems to be doign everyone just fine.

should we bring them home? :beerchug:

What size are they, and is your guppy tank cycled?

Depending on the size of the Koi, your bio load will go up quite a bit!
But if you take water readings and do partial water changes as needed (possibly daily), there should be no problems.

Well one problem... the Koi will probably eat the guppies!:goldfish:

Watch the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrogen levels though.
Ammonia and nitrites are very toxic to fish!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have raised two small Koi in a 35 gallon aquaruim indoors, and they did just fine. They were really healthy and grew faster than I thought they would. After about six months they out grew the space, and I had to give them to a friend that had a 250 gallon pond off of her front steps. I found I had to do a partial water change in the 35 Gallon aquarium every week or two while I had the Koi indoors.

Your Koi should do just fine in your 35 Gallon for now.

Ask a Question