Tiny Bubbles...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
as much as like don ho, i'm not liking these bubbles and the look of the pond.
the water looks...thick. perhaps i'm looking through a layer of...?

the watercourse, though not the pond, is losing some water. i've addressed a couple
areas of dis-integrity, but still lose water if the course is running.

if water is flowing out, other things would flow in, though
i had issues with water loss last year and didn't see this.

any help would be appreciated.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I see what might be a very slight incidence of foam forming. Foam is basically bubbles of air trapped in dissolved organics (phenols) created in turbulent water i.e.waterfall. All ponds have them and, although at times unsightly, are rarely harmful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As with you I have a problem with foam..... Like Meyer said dissolved organics and I have a waterfall with a large amount of water going over it which helps create the foam..... So with the advice I got on this forum..... I lowered my pond by 1/3 and replaced the water.... Still the foam was there..... Two days later did another 1/3 water replacement...... The foam went down drastically..... I have a little project on my pond for this weekend which I will drop my pond by half and I feel like this will cure my foam.... But being that I am very new at ponding and was a bit over exeburant with feeding I caused the problem myself..... So I have found the cure for foam.... Just have to control the operator.... Jimmy

Reaction score
Why I like to have a catch basin.
koibasin.jpg

Any foam stays in the basin and rest of the pond stays still and clean for better fish viewing, And bonus, waterfall water comes out at the bottom pushing debris to drain and moving O2 rich water to bottom where O2 is lowest.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I turned on my pump and "bog" filter one day ago.
Today I can see to the bottom of the 5 foot deep area, no foam. There was a bit of foam the first day it was running, all gone now. LOVE my bog! The water is crystal clear.

Give it some time your foam may disappear as things settle and plants grow.
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
The bubbles and foam tend to be caused by DOC, Dissolved Organic Compounds, even the Japanese Masters get foam on their ponds. Unless you're getting a lot of it, it's more of an aesthetic issue. I have a surface skimmer which tends to catch any foaming and oil sheen on my pond. I also built a Phoam Phraxionator which removes the DOC very well. My first attempt at the Phoam Phraxionator was more of a proof of concept, the next one will have more capacity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Why I like to have a catch basin.
koibasin.jpg

Any foam stays in the basin and rest of the pond stays still and clean for better fish viewing, And bonus, waterfall water comes out at the bottom pushing debris to drain and moving O2 rich water to bottom where O2 is lowest.

thanks for the idea. i'm trying it out by the fall today. i'll post a pic

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I turned on my pump and "bog" filter one day ago.
Today I can see to the bottom of the 5 foot deep area, no foam. There was a bit of foam the first day it was running, all gone now. LOVE my bog! The water is crystal clear.

Give it some time your foam may disappear as things settle and plants grow.
View attachment 98242

gorgeous.

Ask a Question