Test Kit

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
P
image.jpeg
UGood morning all
My 3000 gallon pond is about 12 years old, I have a 100 gallon skippy filter with half floor polishing pads and the other half with small and large bio-balls. It is fed by a 7200gph pump also going thru a 1200 Haywood pool filter that I used once a month to polich the water. This will take out smaller debri. I also have a large water fall fed by a separate 3200gph pump. I do weekly water change about 20% after I add bacteria. We started with 2 kols and now have 14 plus about 6 small fry about the size of a grain of salt. Was cleaning the bottom of some small pea pebbles and saw them in my net. I also have water lettuce which grow very fast and several small plants that were given to me, don't know thier name. My 4 water lilies finally died this year they only grew so much even though I fed them the tab and repotted them in larger pots. The Lilly's are the only thins that I have issues with thru the years, will address this in another thread. So I got 4 new tubers let see what happens. Never had a fish die on me for all these years. I am very happy with my pond water it's very clear. I read that you should check the quality of the water and so I was wondering what kind is test kits are the easiest to use?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The test kit I use for both my aquarium and pond is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit (first link below) and it contains almost all the tests you'll need including pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate. There is also a pond version (second link below) which substitutes the phospate test for nitrate but I have yet to start using that one since my old kit is still good. Other members will have additional tests that they run and will likely recommend them as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NC...olid=34HXSAYHGQHJG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DJNN0/ref=twister_B07C7GFYHM?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Nice looking pond, by the way!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beautiful pond!
I use the API Pond Master

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
In addition to the API master kit, also pick up an API KH/GH test kit.
Maintaining KH and GH within parameters will ensure you have a stable PH.

Reaction score
The test kit I use for both my aquarium and pond is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit (first link below) and it contains almost all the tests you'll need including pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate. There is also a pond version (second link below) which substitutes the phospate test for nitrate but I have yet to start using that one since my old kit is still good. Other members will have additional tests that they run and will likely recommend them as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NC...olid=34HXSAYHGQHJG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DJNN0/ref=twister_B07C7GFYHM?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Nice looking pond, by the way!!
Thank you will check it out

Reaction score
Good afternoon
Thanks to all for your suggestions, I already ordered my API Test Kit. My neibor has a fresh water tank and I used his test strip on my pond water. I just wanted to see what they say.
The test strips show the following:
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite .5 Caution
Hardness 300 Very Hard
Chlorine 1.0 very surprise I only use well water
Alkalinity 40 Low
PH low
Here in south Florida we have hard water, Ok so now what do I do

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Test strips are not accurate, as you can see by your chlorine reading, but I would add 1-1/2 cups baking soda to your pond today or as soon as you can. The alkalinity number is low enough that it will most likely help your pond.
When do you expect to receive your API liquid test kit?

Reaction score
Thanks Mitch,
Your right, just wanted to see how the pond water was doing.
Since we build the pond 12 yrs ago, we had about 10 locations where we could buy kios and water lilies. Those places gave me some info on upgrading my pumps and filtering system, on the water quality all they said was check for PH levels. One year I got the test strips and my water checked out, so as long as my water was clear and never had a fish die I just did not check it again. Now we have 2 locations left. Both sell the strip kits. Their employees push these kits since that's all they have. I be honest until I got on the forum I have now learn that I have been very lucky.
I did what you recordmended when I got home late last nite. I was wondering if 1 1/2 cup enough for a 3000 gallon pond? I was out of town early today and will not be able to check until Saturday morning. The API kit has already been shipped. Sorry for the long post.
Again thanks for the assistance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
1 1/2 cups will raise the KH by 20 ppm, and that's a safe level you can raise it per 24 hour period. Changes much more than that can stress the fish. Plus you don't have an accurate reading of what the KH really is.

Since your pond sounds like it's running fine, I wouldn't make too drastic of change, but since you're doing periodic water changes I would keep an eye on your water test parameters. Aquifer water quality can vary over time.
The bacteria you're adding isn't accomplishing anything, other than giving your pond some extra organic material to process.

Reaction score
Good morning
I just checked the water with the test strips and I do believe they are not as precise and got the following:
Chlorine 5
Alkalinity 120
PH 7.2 7.8 can't tell the color is in between
Nitrite still .5
Again I am waiting on my API kit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yeah, that's quite a variance.
If you did add the baking soda, you're fine. It will eventually be consumed by biological activity.
If you've had your pond for a number of years, keep an eye out for anything unusual.
Accurate test results will give you peace of mind, anyways.

Reaction score
Good evening everyone
After several weeks of non stop rain, I finally used my new API kit for the first time. I was very impressed conpared with test strips that my friend let me try. After 12 yrs of not checking the water, now I can see that my pond is doing good. So now that I have the kit, do I check every month or what do you suggest?
PH. 7.0
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 1.0

Ask a Question