texas holey rock and liner durability?

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has some in their pond.

it's something i'm considering as i tweek the design, maybe find as big a chunk as i can (afford) for my two smaller ponds. i want it part because i figure with the holes i can tie a rope around it or hook it and take it out easy when i want, part to give the fish a little more in the way of hiding space, and also to help keep the liner down in heavy rains.

the last is my worry. the rock i've noticed look like it has kind of sharp edges so i'm a little worried about my liner. it's 45mil and seem pretty tough, but would it take the sharp edges the rock may have and possible pressure from ground water pushing the liner up against it?

let me add also i'm working on a second idea for draining ground water that seems to be working (only had it set up a day or so), so i wouldn't be depending on the rock to hold the liner down by it's self. just trying to get an idea before i spend the money and risk damaging my liner. thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you put the rock in, put a piece of scrap liner under it to protect the real liner. I have some rock planters in my stream, below each one is a piece of liner.

Does the water seep in from the ground, or is it from run off? If from run off, see if you can redirect the run off so it does not get below the liner during rains.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never heard of that rock and would be interesting to see .Is the rock you are considering large and is it rough or have sharp edges because it may harm the fish if the bump into it .During spawning fish are very aggresive ,If it is rough and full of holes I was wondering if it would make great filter media like lava rock .But in the pond I would be worried about the fish .Anything heavy I put in my pond I put a piece of liner under it like addy said .I even silicon a piece to the bottom of my crate and zip tie it also to it .No harm in putting holes in that piece as I'm just using it to protect my pond liner .When you put your pond in you should have did what I did since I have clay I was concerned about ground water so I put that drain pipe around my pond with the peanuts surrounding it inside the sock ..I did that when I redid the pond because I noticed water under the old liner when I took It out and decided to try it out to see how that would work .I put it in about half way up the pond and since my pond is halfway out of the ground it could drain out from one of the sidewalls

Reaction score
the extra liner sounds like a good idea. if i find the rock that's what i'll try. thanks.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If your talking about the kind of rock I'm thinking you are you may want to take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water, check the PH and the hardness. then place a fair size piece of say 1-2# and place it in the bucket of water and allow it to sit for several days and see if there are any changes, If the PH or harness starts climbing you may not want to use it. Sharp edges can be ground down with a small grinding wheel to help smooth out the rough edges. I usually place a Flat rock below any large stones that may puncture the liner, the idea of a second piece of liner is a good idea but it's still only 90 ,mil total. Placeing a flat piece of rock or plastic below the rock woll spread out the weight over a larger area and make the rock far more less likely to puncture than sitting straight on the liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good idea fishin, my rock planters have flat bottoms.

Ask a Question