that was fast

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
3-5 days is normal...
Not such good news for the poor brine shrimp:LOL::cool::LOL:
Mine have 1 more week of BS to go then they are on flake food till they get big enough for small pellets.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you'd be amazed at how big a pound of brine shrimp is....i dont know about price comparisons in value but i cansay they dont waste the brine shrimp..and its food their already used to...min 45% protein as well...min 7% fat...5% crude fiber...
i can only say, its worth a try!...your fish will love you for it.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've read also that the addition of crushed Krill helps bring out the beni in koi too. Wonder if the brine shrimp would have the same effect?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
girl #3 sometime in the night into the morning,,,ponds a mess cloudy and foamy. thankfully,plants are only slightly in dissaray. we went down to 48* last night after a mild day yesterday. 72* and thunderstorms for today! hope my tub water is warm enough for the fry to eat.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
addy1 said:
So you are now going to be a koidaddy instead of koiguy.............lol

Hey, thats me!:rolleyes: lol

My babies are getting big and are use to me hanging my feet over the edge. I have atleast 3 differant types of koi offspring. some I can tell the parents some I have no clue.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
fry tub temp is 54* ...gonna try to feed them and see what happens!...bad idea? only in michigan can you have 80*-90* day drop to 48* that night and now its about 60*, and ready to rain...just my luck!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
bad idea, i decided not to chance it...if it warms today i'll feed.but i dont want them to starve either... i quess i'll go buy an aquarium heater.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the aquarium heater lasted 3 hours then wouldnt even power up. anyways i dont know why weve been in the 40s and low 50s at night here. cost the lives of a bunch of fry the first night but the rest seem to be doing o.k with it. altho it does limit their appetites.i count about 15 - 20 fry in the tank. and a dozen maybe in the roots and in between the iris stalks. i closed off the area arond the iris with some hardware fencing i have. so they shoukd be fine as long as they dont get to brave and wander from the area. we will see! i dont know how many there is there but, i quess i'll see that as well. the ones in the tub will be a week old tomorrow. shy of 1/2" still.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have found that the little ones can take food at a lower temperature. They are much more active and burn it off. I cut off the little ones below 50 degrees.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well theyre at it again this morning....5 spawns in less than 2 weeks will there be a 6th?...hope not.. cause i'm not doing anything with them this year, except the 25 or so i have segregated already....i'm tired of their mess!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
they're at it this morning as well 6 spawns...2 per female..i hope they're thru!!..and with all the cleanup and repotting lillies i've done i hope there is some good looking survivors..... i have a 1000gph pump venturied into the top of my filter for aeration and pond circulation, ive seen alot of fry corpses that look like opague plastic shavings building up in the top of filter....

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
:) Your pond is never gonna look the same if you cant get control of your wild koi

Ask a Question