The basics and some of the common mistakes made building a garden and or koi pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If planning to put plants on shelves in your pond, what depth should the shelves be? Pond Advisor gave this recommendation, but is it accurate in the U.S.? and more specifically in the mountain west?

Zone 1: Damp or wet soil
Zone 2: 10-15 cm (4-6 inches)
Zone 3: 30-40 cm (12-16 inches)
I dont think there is a hard and fast rule for the depth of the shelves. Depends on the plants you want to put in the pond. Some plants want the crown and roots completely submerged, like some types of irises. Some like the roots wet but the crown above the water line. Water Lillies are generally in the 20 inch range below water level. So you may want to look at some plants and look at their requirements. If your shelf is too deep you can always put something underneath the plant to raise it up to the level it likes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The shelves imo are for only a few plants lilies, pickerel weed, etc. Iris can grow at limited depths as well
Most everything else loves a wet muddy base and its feet wet but the rest of the plant is above the water line. These plants are the coude gras. And can realy make your feature look natural and blends in with the surrounding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does Iris's depth depend on variety?
Yes, very much so. Generally the flag irises are the ones that go in the water, sweet flag, louisiana and virginica. The siberian irises generally do not go full in the water, but some have had them do ok if the top of the rhizome is above water level. Japanes iris same thing. Definitely experiment, sometimes you get lucky and the plant does fine with the location, if not then you just try something else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One thing even the pros do that drives me insane is shelves all the same width and depth all the way around the pond . To me that is no artistic flair what so ever

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nature does love variety. She also loves symmetry. So to each their own, I guess.
you will never find a ledge a foot or two wide that is at a constant depth and runs around the entire pond in nature

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Agreed. Our shelves are all varied - probably from 8 inches to 16 inches deep, from a foot to 3 feet wide. But to be honest, few of them actually hold plants - except for my lotus pots. The marginal plants are all tucked between rocks and grow both into and out of the pond. A few of my plants wanted to be in shallower water than the spot where I wanted them so I just piled up some small boulders on the shelf and created a rock bowl. Filled with gravel and voila - plant holder!

Don't overthink this stuff - you'll never have the "perfect" set up for plants. Too many people get way ahead of themselves with "I'm going to plant this plant in this location and that plant over there... " before they've even stuck a shovel in the ground. A pond will literally NEVER be what you saw in your mind - it will be 1000% better if you allow it to develop naturally. Some of my prettiest plantings actually moved themselves from where I originally planted them. Nature does better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was the same thinking ok this plant or most of the plants in a foot of water. But plants like water Lilly honestly do better at 2 to 3 feet deep. I made three shallow areas but I wish I had made them all at three feet. More volume, and lilies don't bunch at the surface, when they rise from that depth.
Now what I wish I had done more of is my pitcher plant bog. It seems EVERYTHING from swamp maple to princess pine, African violets , lilies, lizard tail, monkey flower , the list is endless loves its feet constantly wet in MUD. I have to pull plants out of there every two weeks as they can become tenacious. Leave one tiny root behind and it will be back. But these areas are simple to construct and realy give a huge bang for the buck. They can be built within the pond or on the outside" wish I had done more of these " this is where it realy helps to blend the water feature in with the area instead of everything along the water's edge just being soften. When it jogs out into the rest of the yard it looks like nature owns your back yard. Put plants like cardinal flower out there and the hummingbirds will surely be the highlight of the pond.
Screenshot_20210416-230126_Chrome.jpg
Plus they bloom for like three months August to November in the north east.

Last edited:

Ask a Question