The BENI KUMONRYU

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had a favorite Koi "type."
I love the Asagi, the Shusui, the Benigoi, and the Budo Goromo...
But I think my all time favorite is the Beni Kumonryu..

Does anyone have any experience with this koi? Anyone know of a breeder? I would love to find one...

I've heard that these kinds of koi don't do well with the hard water we have in San Diego, California. Not sure if this is true. Someone told me they fair better in softer water.. same with the Doitsu Ochiba Shigure's. And when I say fair, I mean they're appearance is much better in soft water conditions.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
jagan

http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/wetvet/files/2010/11/Beni-Kumonryu.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There are actually two breeders working with them in the California area, It's one of my favorites! I'm trying to get a few myself, beware the Doitsu Sanke and some Beni Kumonryu are very hard to tell apart and may be sold as the other, beni as doitsu, doitsu as beni. Also beaware that true beni kumonryu make drastic changes so what you get as small will not be what it looks like large 100% guarantee it will look totally different if it is a true Beni Kumonryu. But they are fine, If the Breeder I've been talking to in San Diego ends up with any extras and is willing to sell I'll be happy to pass on the contact information. At this point in time he is not selling any and has told me he would contact me if he does.

Attachments

• Doitsu sanke.jpg
    Doitsu sanke.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 820
  • 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 719
  • Beni Kumonryu 2.jpg
    Beni Kumonryu 2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 4,248

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow love the colors on the one on the right. It does not look real

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
From my understanding that one is a Grand Champion in Australia. I've been told that and seen pics of one that was marked very similar that came from the same spawning that has a white face with black circle on it's forehead but it's not as evenly colored. The one on the left is a Doitsu sanke, the one in the middle is one I purchased from Next day koi, I wish I had better pics of it because it was turning out to be a spectacular fish but I lost it during the heron attack.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow darn fishin, sorry you lost it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes the one on the rt looks like somebody painted it............hey wait a minute that's the same paint on a VW bus I had back in the late 60's........:surfing:

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Fishin4cars, Those are beautiful fish! I do have 2 Doitsu Sanke's already.. and a black and white kumonryu.. but no Beni.. I got the Doitsu Sanke's cause they look so close to the Beni Kumonryu (and I like the doitsu's).. I would very much be interested in a Beni Kumonryu, just can't afford those big ones! (12- 18inch) I don't mind raising the smaller ones.. (6 - 10inch)

I was told to look for a fish with deep blacks and deep reds and bright whites.. and not to pay too much attention to pattern as that will change.. the one thing that won't is how its presented (color saturation wise.) So yes, I hear ya..

I'm curious what makes it change? PH? Hard Water? My regular Kumonryu hasn't changed much in the 2 years that I've had him.. nothing drastic at least.. She's just gotten bigger.... the biggest change was my Kohaku (not the best breedstock) but I didn't expect her to lose ALL of her orange.. she's got 1 scale of orange on her back.. lolz! But still a sweet fish.. the first to eat out of my hand..

But yes, definitely Fishin4Cars.. HOOK ME UP!!!! lolz.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Be sure and keep an eye on NextDayKoi on ebay,and KoiBay. they both are the two most regular sellers that list some Beni Kumonryu. I'm not sure on PH and Hardness if they effect them or not, I can tell you the sumi changes most during temp changes and UV light exposure. I've read that on Kumonryu they are basically white koi it overlay of Beni and Sumi. Beni is more stable than Sumi so the fish may appear more Red as the sumi fades because the sumi will lay on top of the white and black but change when the UV light changes drastically. If you keep a lot of plant cover or keep them under a cover the changes are less noticable than in fish that are able to stay out in the sunlight year round.
BTW, Doitsu are my favorite too. I have a KI Doitsu that I really like, I saw a Ki Kumonryo earlier this year. actually the seller had three, none were stand out but it's intresting seeing the new devolping color variations. I'm also watching a guy that is working on Ki Sushui which should be intresting to see how that developes in the next few years.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Thank you! I will keep an eye on them.. There is a place I'm also checking out called Laguna Koi in Laguna Beach.. probably 1 or 2 hours from me. If you check out my album, my koi pond is a rectangular shape pond about 3.5 - 4 ft deep I built a bridge that covers maybe 1/3 of the pond.. it can get alot of sun.. but I've also put up wind/sun shades above partly to keep it from getting too much sun and partly to keep it hidden from those damn herons.. I don't live in an open rural setting but I'm close enough to Balboa Park, the San Diego Zoo, the beach and golf course, that the herons do fly over head (and apparently get a good view of my backyard)... I lost a large lionhead fish in my kids goldfish lily pond.. she was about 6inches and was great to watch... now we just stock the small pond with baby lionheads.. The doitsu's and beni kumonryu's are so dramatic in color.. I'm captivated by them. A good Budo Goromo or Asagi also is awe inspiring. I will keep an eye out for NextDayKoi and KoiBay. Thanks!!!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here are a couple of the last pics of my Beni Kumonryu before I lost it. By far one of my favorites and I will get another one.

Attachments

• Beni Kumonryu 3.jpg
    Beni Kumonryu 3.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 505
  • Beni Kumonryu 4.jpg
    Beni Kumonryu 4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 492

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Larkin.. I visited that Laguna Koi place.. in person.. only 1 hour from where I work.. 2 hours from where I live.. the koi were BEAUTIFUL.. I broke down and got me my first Beni Kumonryu! His name's Benny.

Check them out at www.lagunakoi.com

Attachments

• IMAG2253.jpg
    IMAG2253.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 679

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
WOW! I love that fish!!!! Mind if I ask how much it was? How big it is? Oh man your so lucky! I want one like that!!!!!!! Do they ship?
That is one of the best I have seen other than that one I posted that was suppose to have come from Australia.

Ask a Question