The Case against underwater oxygenators

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Watercress - my gosh that stuff can overtake a waterfall in just a couple of days. I pulled probably three more bushels out just last week. It will literally stop your waterfall.

You know what it is though? Excellent green mulch. I toss it all around the garden, under bushes and trees to add nutrients and suppress weeds. Great stuff! And it's super easy to yank out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my opinion, any plants with leaves on or above the water's surface won't be a problem for depleting oxygen in the water. All living plants take in carbon dioxide during the day and release oxygen. At night that process is reversed in ALL plants, taking up oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide.

But, as I understand it, if there are leaves at the surface of the water, that scenario is taking place in the open air above the pond, not under the water.

So only plants that grow completely underwater, those that are probably categorized incorrectly as oxygenating plants, would have any affect on the water itself.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like my pond i really don't have a lot of plants that demand much. i have rhodies, mountain loreals, hedges, Red maple sky pencil, ferns, Pachysandra, japanese, forest bamboo, i don't fuss with the rest of the yard just leaves in the fall, ii have more color from shape and texture than i do flowers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my opinion, any plants with leaves on or above the water's surface won't be a problem for depleting oxygen in the water. All living plants take in carbon dioxide during the day and release oxygen. At night that process is reversed in ALL plants, taking up oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide.

But, as I understand it, if there are leaves at the surface of the water, that scenario is taking place in the open air above the pond, not under the water.

So only plants that grow completely underwater, those that are probably categorized incorrectly as oxygenating plants, would have any affect on the water itself.
Totaly Agreed .... its not ,,, anything i feel i ever need to deal with and i have lots and lots of plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@WaterGardener - imagine a pond covered with ice, trapping the gasses inside the pond. Could a pond overgrown with plants at the surface have the same issue?

Possibly, I suppose. I know it can be a problem with massive algae growth on the surface of the water. But as for pond plants, I don't know how thick that would have to be. And wouldn't it have to be a solid surface of plant growth that would seal up the entire area of water?

You have probably seen the picture of my water lily pool, which was packed with lily pads. They had to grow higher and higher from the water surface to sustain themselves. But still there were newts, frogs, tadpoles, snails and other water critters thriving in there. And there were some gaps in the foliage so it wasn't completely solid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just looked up info about algae blooms. Seems the problem there is that some algae release toxins into the water, think ted tides, that kill off whatever lives in that area.

The other problem with a large amount of algae is when it dies off and uses up the oxygen in the water as a result of the decaying process. It's one of the reasons we all caution people about using algaecides, so most here are aware of that problem.

I don't know if a thick layer of algae in itself would choke out a pond's residents. Maybe someone else could answer that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is the water cress you guys were talking about the same thing that people put in salads?
Yes . Grows very fast , anyone can get it to thrive so long as it's not to hot in your area as in the summer mine slows way down.
But it is very easy to remove despite its very dense layer of roots and I have never had a problem with it growing out into the landscape. Unlike mints! 1 they should call them don't do its

Reaction score
Country
United States
@WaterGardener - imagine a pond covered with ice, trapping the gasses inside the pond. Could a pond overgrown with plants at the surface have the same issue?
I doubt it, at least more often than not. A layer of plants couldn't possibly be as airtight as ice.

Also, I don't believe that the thing about the gases under the ice is true. I believe "winterkill" is caused by suffocation, and the "gases" under the ice are simply the stench of the rotting, suffocated fish (that's my theory, but I don't claim to be a genius).

Oxygenating plants produce more oxygen than they consume when they are exposed to sunlight, unless they are dying, rotting, or shaded by other plants.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I doubt it, at least more often than not. A layer of plants couldn't possibly be as airtight as ice.

Also, I don't believe that the thing about the gases under the ice is true. I believe "winterkill" is caused by suffocation, and the "gases" under the ice are simply the stench of the rotting, suffocated fish (that's my theory, but I don't claim to be a genius).

Oxygenating plants produce more oxygen than they consume when they are exposed to sunlight, unless they are dying, rotting, or shaded by other plants.
In the winter almost all plants die off in the ice regions. Even otgenators go basicly torment. Not much growth in the winter look at the rings in any tree.
Agreed plants can not be as tight as air tight as ice.

However I can agree to disagree on the opening in the ice during winter. The more formal a pond the more a opening is a must. Something like my pond with all the plants everywhere they will keep openings along the edges in and around grasses and dead matter that hangs in the watter. Now is it enough not to have a pond breather or air . Nope not worth the risk.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the winter almost all plants die off in the ice regions. Even otgenators go basicly torment. Not much growth in the winter look at the rings in any tree.
Agreed plants can not be as tight as air tight as ice.

However I can agree to disagree on the opening in the ice during winter. The more formal a pond the more a opening is a must. Something like my pond with all the plants everywhere they will keep openings along the edges in and around grasses and dead matter that hangs in the watter. Now is it enough not to have a pond breather or air . Nope not worth the risk.
Are you saying that uneven vegetation can keep small openings in the ice on the surface in the winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you saying that uneven vegetation can keep small openings in the ice on the surface in the winter?
YUP I use to skate on our ponds in our back yard when was a kid. one was more of a swamp that had small grass or bush islands all over the place we'd make a obstacle course and skate in between the mounds of grass but cut to close and the 6 inch thick ice would be paper this and your foot would go for a swim . the plant matter acts as a insulation.

Ask a Question