The challenging pond build (uk)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
When you start back filling behind a sheet of fiberglass or ever azek you'll need to do it slowly so as you fill the pond you can fill in behind the fiberglass with sand to fill the voids. It sounds harder then It is

Yes I was planning on something along those lines...

I'm currently thinking of using 25mm expanded polystyrene insulating sheets as the layer that sits on the earth, using expanded foam dabs to hold it in place. Then pond underlay / carpet etc... sand backfill behind the insulation... but that idea may evolve into something else in the next hour :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
So the plan today was to clean up the pond and surrounding area of all pieces of clay roof tiles, bricks, random pieces of metal and be ready to start preparing to sub-line the sides and back ready to start the actual pond process tomorrow. Great plan! then the plan met Mr Reality.

He showed himself in a couple of ways. The top area was cleared of junk and part where the bog filter will go was done too. A previously hidden manhole cover emerged from the long grass and necessitated a quick redesign of the bog filter from 2.4m x 2.4m to 2m x 2.4m. But he saved his best until last! ANOTHER pipe emerged from the dirt about 1m inside the back wall of the pond and 2 feet from the bottom of the pond running all the way across the back wall of the pond. It's the main water supply to the house and not feasable to move it.

So to recap, left side of the pond has house and underground cable runs (4inch pipe). Right side of the pond; main sewer and cold water feed. Front of the pond limited by main driveway and another 4" cable conduit. The rear of the pond; main water pipe comes up the right side of the pond, does a left and goes all the way across. Wonderful.

To miss the mains pipe, I loose 2 cubic metres of pond. ha! thats easy.. I'll dig down another 500mm and get the 2 cubic metres back. I got down another inch at the most, then I hit clay. The thick claggy stuff that wont let go of the spade...

Leaving that problem to fester, I turn my attention back to the problem I've still got the of how to repair / make good the 2 cubic meters hole at the back, precisely where the waterfall is going to be... At this point when the teddies are about to be thrown from the pram, the hole filled in again and the idea of a pond marked down to an interesting theoretical exercise. Pausing with a cup of tea brought forth a solution. With the cry of "if you are going to get it wrong then do it properly" a new plan was hatched. A retaining wall sunk in to the bottom of the pond, rising to the high water mark. Backfill behind the wall with all the crud I've pulled out and I'm back on track! So, heres some pics of todays adventures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
some of the rubbish found.
detritus.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
the water pipe and an old sewer pipe.
water pipe.jpg
old sewer pipe and water.jpg
old sewer pipe and water.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
the foundations for the new wall.. and proximity to the water pipe
base and pipe.jpg
base.jpg
base.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those pipes that's have been compromised. A word of experience would say unless you see the pipe missing elsewhere assume they are active and protect those openings and when back filling repair or place a larg pipe or rock over them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Those pipes that's have been compromised. A word of experience would say unless you see the pipe missing elsewhere assume they are active and protect those openings and when back filling repair or place a larg pipe or rock over them.
Sorry, its late, I'm tired... pipe missing elsewhere?? I dont understand what you mean..

I know that particular pipe. when the builders did the extension, including a new wet room, I got them to move the old clay sewer pipe routing to down the right side of where the pond would be.. but I thought the main water feed, (rising main) was a:deeper, b; further to the right, and C; way further back... Mr Reality thought otherwise! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think you need to reengineer your whole project.

Solution:
Forget the digging.
An above ground pond is the answer. I don't see you having any other choice.

Before you cover up what you have discovered...
Map out in scale and great detail exactly where all those utility pipes are for future reference. You don't want to drive any rebar supports into the ground and puncture any of those utilities.

There are many different methods for building an above ground pond. The choice probably most depends on how large the pond will be.

One way would be concrete block walls. The type of blocks that are usually mistakenly called cinder blocks. They have the open voids which can be filled with concrete after you drive rebar into the ground for stability.

You can build it out of wood. Many have done this, but obviously you need to build it strong enough to hold back all that water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Meaning you know the ends of the pipe conect to

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was going to suggest the same thing; build above ground, or at least, partially, then you can backfill safely where you need to and though you'll lose some length and width (maybe; you don't want to put a pond OVER anything you might have to dig up!), you can make it up by being a bit deeper. The area you've chosen just isn't great for what you're trying to accomplish, sadly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to suggest the same thing; build above ground, or at least, partially, then you can backfill safely where you need to and though you'll lose some length and width (maybe; you don't want to put a pond OVER anything you might have to dig up!), you can make it up by being a bit deeper. The area you've chosen just isn't great for what you're trying to accomplish, sadly.

Thats pretty much what I'm doing, (Partially above ground). Although it may not be clear from either the pics or the accompanying commentary. I lost a metre in length but have gone deeper to reclaim the volume.

Entirely agree about how far this is from being the ideal site, but as mentioned before, this is what SWMBO has allocated me and as an engineer, finding a way to make it work is fun too. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
finding a way to make it work is fun too. :)
[/QUOTE]

I found that to be almost more so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
finding a way to make it work is fun too. :)

[/QUOTE]

thinking about that, the pond is really going to need to be special to beat the fun I've had so far. lol...

(I exaggerate only for the purpose of clarity).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

thinking about that, the pond is really going to need to be special to beat the fun I've had so far. lol...

(I exaggerate only for the purpose of clarity).
[/QUOTE]
careful you don't have so much fun that you end up in a chair inside your house and opposite a new aquarium, triumphantly declaring; 'There! I did it!'

Ask a Question