The challenging pond build (uk)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Its a guy thing the bigger the challenge the bigger the reward. just like the days of chasing tail ,it's definitely a guy thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found that to be almost more so.

thinking about that, the pond is really going to need to be special to beat the fun I've had so far. lol...

(I exaggerate only for the purpose of clarity).
[/QUOTE]
you not alone in your unearthing of obstacles and treasures, Cw struck drain tiles as well me ohh i got the best of all a bottle bump. the construction waste pipe. i had the room to move the area that's was to be in the bottle dump but i opted for the challenge and build the cistern right in the middle of all that glass. Azek and fiberglass matting and a year latter and still holds water no leaks .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The wife and i were sitting out at the pond today she started playing ball with one of the dogs. i said why do you bother your throw and aim is so girly bad your just going to break something. she got pissed and a half hour latter what did she do she clocked my over the head with the kong. She found it amusing saying why would she ever learn how to throw she can bop me and i know it was dumb luck and she can get away with it...... Women

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would make me normal. Know one wants that to happen I'm always the loud one fighting for what they are afraid to voice how they realy feel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Meanwhile, back at the pond, er, building site midden... The foundations went in, the block work transported, and partly assembled. Surfaces cleared of ceramic inclusions and a metal detector used to find buried nails and other ferrous miscellanea . (There were quite a few nails!)

The design continues to evolve. Looking back at my initial thoughts: The Kockney koi 6 bay filter has gone and bog filter replaced it. Shape and depth of pond changed and changed again. Bog filter size changed a couple of times. Pre filter to pump the same, but now with flow direction modifications.

Pond lining changed from 25mm polystyrene to a 2mm semi rigid floor protection, that also reduced the cost by another £1 per sQm. There are still plans to cover in carpet and geofleece too.

Pump choice pretty much set at 15000lph, calculations done for water flow, and water flow per watt hour, pipework planned out. Only a couple of known unknowns still left, the method of waterfall back into the main pond and some sort of protection to the sleepers used to construct the bog filter to stop them having permanent wet feet.

Theres bound to be some unknown unknowns, but Mr reality will be delivering them in due course. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Meanwhile, back at the pond, er, building site... The foundations went in, the block work transported, and partly assembled. Surfaces cleared of ceramic inclusions and a metal detector used to find buried nails and other ferrous miscellanea . (There were quite a few nails!)

The design continues to evolve. Looking back at my initial thoughts: The Kockney koi 6 bay filter has gone and bog filter replaced it. Shape and depth of pond changed and changed again. Bog filter size changed a couple of times. Pre filter to pump the same, but now with flow direction modifications.

Pond lining changed from 25mm polystyrene to a 2mm semi rigid floor protection, that also reduced the cost by another £1 per sQm. There are still plans to cover in carpet and geofleece too.

Pump choice pretty much set at 15000lph, calculations done for water flow, and water flow per watt hour, pipework planned out. Only a couple of known unknowns still left, the method of waterfall back into the main pond and some sort of protection to the sleepers used to construct the bog filter to stop them having permanent wet feet.

Theres bound to be some unknown unknowns, but Mr reality will be delivering them in due course. :)
Please clarify:
What are you using for a liner?
You said:
Pond liner changed to semi ridgid floor protection?
Are you referring to the underlayment or the actual liner?

Sleepers having permanent wet feet?
Where are they located that they will be permanently wet?
Your liner should be covering them. They shouldn't be in the bog exposed to the water.
Please explain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
"What are you using for a liner?
You said:
Pond liner changed to semi ridgid floor protection?
Are you referring to the underlayment or the actual liner? "

er, no. I said pond LINING, not liner, :) . note it does also say; "Pond lining changed from 25mm polystyrene to a 2mm semi rigid..etc.. " and; "There are still plans to cover in carpet and geofleece too."

My apologies for the confusion, I thought it was clear I was referring to the substrate under the liner.

"Sleepers having permanent wet feet?
Where are they located that they will be permanently wet?
Your liner should be covering them. They shouldn't be in the bog exposed to the water".

The main pond liner extends under the area of the bog filter construction. There is a second liner inside the sleeper wall which contains the bog filter.

This design was arrived at to deal with the perceived issues of getting the water from the bog filter into the stream that runs back to the pond... I seem to have read a lot of posts where waterfalls have been the source of leaks. Whereas bog filters placed as an island, around the perimeter or adjacent to the main pond using porous rocks do not. (see illustrations in Addy1 pinned Bog construction post).
my interpretation of bog filter to stream "leaks" was to just make the whole area a wet area. but that leads to the wet feet issue I alluded to.

I'd rather look up the slope at a "wooden planter" than a black liner wall that would be difficult to mask initially.

Yes, the issue of planter/bog filter getting wet feet is still in the known unknown category and therefore subject to change. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not totally getting the wet sleeper idea, but if you have it under control, that's what counts.
I know sometimes it's hard to describe things in writing.

When I added on my bog, I lifted the pond liner, which ran up a hill under my old waterfall. Built the wall that separates the pond and bog. Then laid the old (lifted) liner over that new wall. Then laid the new bog liner over that with an overlap of about 2 feet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not totally getting the wet sleeper idea, but if you have it under control, that's what counts.
I know sometimes it's hard to describe things in writing.

When I added on my bog, I lifted the pond liner, which ran up a hill under my old waterfall. Built the wall that separates the pond and bog. Then laid the old (lifted) liner over that new wall. Then laid the new bog liner over that with an overlap of about 2 feet.

I wouldnt say its anywhere near under control :)

pic to follow...

Ask a Question