sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2 days of bitter cold and now back to 60's and 70's here .I saw on the news about flooding in Florida and my Aunt Jojo lives there and glad she is now living in a condo after Uncle Tony passed away and she sold the house fast which was unusual .At least I know she is high and dry .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Holy cow, Addy, you're still in FL, I assume? I saw a video someone posted of ice creeping from a lake (I think) towards condos. The lady was talking the whole time, and it was unreal how it was forming and folding over itself. Finally did what I expected from the beginning, got to the condos and broke a door and kept on going! Yikes!!!! I wish I knew how to copy that video, but can't seem to figure it out yet. Stay safe, Addy. Hope you don't get much water damage. What a bummer!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Colleen we are down in florida, having a cold front of 50, hitting hot and wet, caused a surprise a real surprise storm that sat over us stalled and dumped rain.....18 inches. Our house in maryland is doing fine with the ice, snow, freezing, pond is melting again, fish swimming around all nice and alive.

I lost track too, get lost on what is going on esp when dealing with issues of real life. Spent 3 hours in comcast trying to straighten out our free service, they sent us to collections over................they are idiots, hate that company

Here is our water line, others were 5 inches higher, their houses were lower in level. The back door sill is lower, the water there was three inches over the sill, luckily we have not laid floor back there yet We are going to raise the sill, even though this has never happened here before, these houses have been here since 71.

DSC06782.JPGDSC06783.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
callingcolleen1 said:
Glad it was not your home in Maryland, I was worried the pond was overflowing with the fish in it!! :)

Me too! It can't happen there, our house, pond and land is such a slope the low part of our land would need to fill with 40 feet if not more water, before it would flood the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
And, your MD home is on such a slope, and you have it fading away from your streams and ponds, it hopefully would never get to flowing into and pushing things out of the ponds. Of course, 18" of rain would have had to go somewhere IN the ponds, too, though. What a mess in FL, but sure glad you were there. What a terrible thing it would have been to happen a week AFTER you put new flooring in and were not there to bail it out. Any damage to the flooring you already put in? Hope not!
Found a dove floating in the 2" of water in my window well this morning. Was certain she was alive, very limber, not cold. Wanted to bring her inside to warm up, but thought that might be too drastic, as it was in the 40's outside. Put her in a towel and with a laundry basket over her and out of the wind, waited about an hour. Checked her and now she seems to be getting cold, so maybe was dead all the while, just not cold since in the water? Brought her in, wrapped up on my lap, trying to warm her up, but thinking she has already passed. Darn! Figure she may have been in there for several days, maybe since Monday, pushed her way into the cover, trying to get out of the arctic cold. I feel sooo bad, cause I took pics of a dove braving the cold trying to eat sunflower seeds on Tuesday. :(
Dove and sparrow.JPGGetting feathers ruffles in the wind.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Miracle addy that you were down there when that flood happened. You saved your floor and more. Hoping the sun comes out for you now :cheerful:

So sad CE about the bird and like Lou says you tried to save the poor thing. Might have just been out of time in age and the cold was more than it could handle this year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are dry now, sunny and 82 or so. A little windy, cold coming wednesday and thursday, around 60 ish, 47 at night. Not bad lol. Rain again, slight chance is what they are saying, will see.

Our floor is fine, we got the water sucked up fast, dried it with fans and a freezing ac setting.........sucks the moisture right out. Some houses are still closed up, owners have been notified. With this heat, they will start to dry, but with the moisture trapped inside mold will come to.

Ask a Question