The things you find on the side of the road:-)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope you don't want to deal w/a fish that looks sick from the start, just heartache waiting to happen. Poor fishy :sad:

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Not exactly something I found on the side of the road.
but wanted to share anyway.

Doing a big landscape job at a cond complex redoing the fronts landscape on 50 condos.

Anyway

We where working away and a lady from across the street and asked to give here a price on removing some trees she has gotten tired of.
So I went across the street and looked at the job.
pretty basic palm removal tear out throw away.

There and behold 3 beautifull Pigmy palms of course first thought man they will look great around my pond.

So I said let me have them I will remove them for free.

Anyway long story short I got these beauty for free well we had to dig them out and now I have to plant them but still.

Palms.JPG Palms_1.JPG
Noticed how they already have grown curved/bent to where I can plant them and they will go out and over the pond.
This takes years to grow and train and it is very expensive to by or even harder to find.
Can you tell how excited I am and you know what my weekend will be .

Ruben

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How cool is that! Love, love, love palm trees but I can only grow the cold hardy ones up here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love those palms, have them at my house in arizona.

Reaction score
I wish I could have a few palms here. They are so neat looking, but doubt they would appreciate my weather here. I'd say I could bring them in, but already have sooooo many seasonal plants that need to come in (and not just the pond plants LOL).

I posted about being naughty and buying a few more fish via ebay... Oh boy... In trying to make hubby happy for more butterlies, and some really awesome deals from NDK, I think we need to hope there is someone out there giving away a LINER. Trying to decide where I am setting up more tanks for the short term, but it sure as heck isnt gonna work for more than a month or two... Ended up buying "lots" cuz hubby wanted one or two out of each batch! Looks like hubby will be building another QT pond in the near future. I'm not going to complain since I'll end up with a bunch of gin rins and shusui to pick from for myself:)

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes palms don't like freezing weather.

Will be getting started and getting them planted over the weekend.

I have not made up my mind on weather to go directly in the dirt be side the pond or make planters out of River rock and Cement.
they are so big and heavy that I will have to brace them for at least a couple of season to let the roots grow in to hold there wieght as they are very top heavy.
I do this for a living but still has me a little worried, since they will be hanging over the pond.
Thats all I need to come home have it laying in the pond, I don't even want to think of the damage it could do.

I will post picks as I go

Thanks
Ruben

Reaction score
Wow, Ruben! Wish I could find a haul like that! Palms are so pretty, but alas I do not live in balmy California :p
Maybe one day, when the kids are grown lol. Did you say you do landscaping for a living Ruben?

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

FishyLove Wrote:
Did you say you do landscaping for a living Ruben?

Yes Landscape Designer Mostly now but very little since the economy went down hill. And It do's not look to be getting better anytime soon.
Right now I am working landscaping and part time for a Construction company to make ends meat as they say.

Things are tough for everyone but we are making it.
Most of the yard and house work/fixing it up has come to a stop but that is just the way it is. :razz:

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice of you to remove them for free even though you knew you scored big time .I saw online they sell for like 200 or 300 dollars for smaller ones like that( ALOT SMALLER ) and free WOW

Reaction score
Yes Landscape Designer Mostly now but very little since the economy went down hill. And It do's not look to be getting better anytime soon.
Right now I am working landscaping and part time for a Construction company to make ends meat as they say.

Things are tough for everyone but we are making it.
Most of the yard and house work/fixing it up has come to a stop but that is just the way it is. :razz:

Ruben

Ruben, just keep at it, it comes in waves. The more versitile you can be, the better... You have to be able to evolve with the times to make it in this trade. Like a lot of kids, hubby had his mow route for extra money, but went into marine mechanics in high school. Lots of awards later, when he got out of school, he was offered insultive wages scraping boat bottoms... So he went to work for landscapers, and in general, hated how the clients kept getting screwed, so went to work as a chemical engineer for a few years. He HATED being inside, so we started our "Landscape Business" in 1992. If it pertains to the outside, he can do it. It will sound like a strange mix, but we do everything from mowing & cleanups,landscape installs, hardscape, irrigation, tree work, excavation, septic installs and house lifting... My background is in construction. By trade, I am a General Contractor (I qualify for my BSL but dont want it), have my CDL ("class B") so can drive for hire by friends when they need another driver ...I also draft blueprints, and am a fair finish carpenter... What has worked for us is in taking the approach of since we do have the experience in so many areas, once we get into a clients yard, we are their first call for future work in a broad area. I dont know from one day to the next what type of work will be on the books, but we stay pretty busy. Let your clients know that you have multi skills. If you treat them fairly, you will be their first thought when they need something else done.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, gosh, my hubby would kill me if I picked stuff off the side of the road. If he had his choice, 85% of the junk I have now would GO on the side of the road..... Not that I don't spot some pretty cool potentials out there!

About the deformed fish, just curious, but what is the usual percentage of deformities you would see in nature?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Virtually zero percent! In nature any defromed animal is eliminated by predators before it gets to the point where it wanders around where we could see it.
John

Ask a Question