The types of pond fish... Not many really...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am amazed to this day that people buy plants for the pond they have and don't clean and inspect them and repot them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did some research into the topic of specialized ponds last year, particularly bass ponds. There are certainly people who would prefer to keep familiar American fish in their ponds, and judging from the number of people reading my blog post "Can you keep bass in a koi pond?" I'd suspect there are way more people who are curious about it than who actually follow through and do it.

I've spoken with a few pond builders who have experience with bass in their ponds, and there's mixed feedback. Some have had great success placing 2-3 bass in their existing pond with the koi, especially if the koi are much larger than the bass. When they're the same size, the bass were reported to be aggressive at times, not necessarily trying to eat the koi, (although that isn't unheard of!) but just chasing the koi, nipping at their fins, and being generally bad neighbors. It's not that the bass couldn't adjust to a koi pond, it was that they disrupted the balance in the pond and stressed the koi. Bottom line was it can work, but it's not recommended due to likelihood of difficulties.

The majority of people asking this question already have a pond, and are wondering along the lines of if the bass their son caught and brought home will survive in their garden pond. A much smaller group of people are specifically looking to have a garden pond with bass, and will design it accordingly. I'll post a link below that describes the specifications for such a proper bass habitat.

I'd really love to hear more from people who've kept bass or other native fish in their pond so I may learn from their experiences. Hopefully this post reaches such intrepid pond owners and we can all learn more about the do's and don'ts of niche ponds!

http://www.landvistaaquascapes.com/blog/keeping-bass-in-a-water-garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had aquarium's since I was about 5 years old, I have spawned anything from guppies to angel fish and even raised one spawn of Discus. But my most memorable fish was a pair of one inch long Oscar's that I bought to put into a 55 gallon community tank. Well they quickly eat everything in that tank and also out grew that tank so I had to buy a 110 gallon tank, but I will have to say they were the fish with the most personally and friendliest. And I am sure a Bass would be the same. Got rid of my last aquarium about five years ago. Missed it so I built a Koi pond., and although they are totally different fish Koi are a whole lot like my Oscar's glad to see you every afternoon and always begging to be fed

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I tend to keep a variety of fish and critters in my pond and stray away from just goldish and koi.

One of my ponds has a pair of blue gill, yellow perch and a variety of dace and darters. No koi or goldfish in there. Have 2 3000gph pumps feeding into the waterfall, so it stays well oxygenated. The male blue gill hovers over an old pot filled with pea gravel. Outside of the blue gill, only way to tell there are other fish in there is during feeding time.

Main large pond has two terrapins in it, a juvenile red ear slider, with mostly goldfish, orfes, and a few koi. Never messed with keeping bass as they tend to eat a lot (as in other fish) and get rather large. If my pond stayed cool enough during the summer, I would probably get a sterlet, but I know it gets to warm.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
why do people forget fat fantails all the time ,for small ponds they are great fish

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had mine for the same amount of time I have had my other fish and bought them from the same place .I just wish they would make babies. If I had a choice I would only have them .

Ask a Question