j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Always enjoy looking at your beautiful fish koiguy and they look so healthy. You take good care of them and it shows
fish030.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A pickle jar may be good but I saw one with a plastic mayo .jar also .I guess really anything is good to use as long as it is sealed good /Your fish have really gotten big fast think you need to stop feeding them spinach .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Always enjoy watching, I saw the one I've liked all year still looks good but he is getting more and more splotching pattern. Wow, that water stays so clear! Everyone looks happy to be inside!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Love the pictures and videos, KoiGuy! My favorite big one is the white one with little black and red spots. But, I'm still in love with the tri-colored ones (Sanke or Showa?) and you have some really nice little ones.
I had a pleco I put in my pond in June, thinking that it could stay. It went in at about 7" long, and came out at 12" or little more! That was just in 4 months, too. I've got a baby albino in my inside aquarium hoping he will grow some before next summer. He's going into the pond then so I can see him.
Do you have any problems catching all your fish? I'd guess some get left in the pond that get missed, right? Looks like you have just a few babies, which is what I want eventually, just a few. Out of my 10 or so goldies, I have about 10 babies.
Thanks for sharing your inside pond. You make all of us with our ponds on "hibernation" mode jealous we could watch our babies all winter, too! I have a basement, lots of space ... maybe someday I'll add a basement pond, too. :)That's a lot of hauling fish and water to the basement. I don't remember how you do the water exchange. Do you bring water from the outside pond with the fish?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
C.ESCAPE..... Theres about 50 juvenile / fingerlings @ 2&1/2" - 4&1/2"..... 5 adults @18" - 21" .....1 young adult @ 7" ....1 pieco @ 18". they become more and more easy to catch as i pump the water out of one pond to the other.... i use a flowtec pump for the water transfer. i may do a thread on my basement pond, filter, and maintainence ... its not much more work than outdoor ponds. maybe even less, without the plant grooming etc...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, so you pump one pond of water into the basement pond, catching fish as you go, so then there is no water and therefore no fish left in the outside pond, right? Or, do you leave the outside pond full, too, just use as much as you need for the smaller (I assume) basement pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes...the outside pond is 1200 gals, the basement is 800. when the basement pond is full i just move the hose from the basement to the yard and keep pumping. i catch the big guys first then the little ones when the water level is way down. i keep a bin / tote of pond water at ponds edge to put the fish in when caught. carry them down in that, or a black pillow case...same water= same temp and chemistry....easy on the fish. i wouldnt want to have catch all the fish in a full pond. even one of mines size.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oh...i'm sorry..i wasnt saying the pond sat empty over winter...absolutely not!! i refill the pond . wouldnt want cave ins, and the pond plants need to be in water. and i can imagine what a 1200 gal preformed would cost....lots!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember in the 70's when they built some of the california contemporaries they would put small ponds in the entryways .I guess the homeowners did not like the upkeep .I remember them building some in NJ like that .I guess it really has nothing to do with this post ,but a pond inside may be coming back into fashion ,

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
remember in the 70's when they built some of the california contemporaries they would put small ponds in the entryways .I guess the homeowners did not like the upkeep .I remember them building some in NJ like that .I guess it really has nothing to do with this post ,but a pond inside may be coming back into fashion ,
My wife will be thrilled to hear that our basement is now 'in fashion'!!! John

Ask a Question