This is what boredom got me

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Updated pond shots… pickerel weed getting a tiny bit out of control and same with waterfrogetmenots and creeping Jenny in the bog.
E5C6B382-97E5-4220-A0CF-291C03B1E5F0.jpeg
32D89ECC-8684-45E3-99AA-34C188A228DB.jpeg
8529D050-ED65-4255-8F21-F9C6F8575D86.jpeg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Wow, the creeping Jenny in the last pic is like a giant carpet.
Yeah it took it about a year, but it took off since then, it is a battle royal in the bog for growing space between the creeping jenny, forgetmenots, and water celery, think the creeping jenny is slowly winning though, at least at this end of the pond. The bog at the other end has the water celery winning, but then again that end is only a year old, and water celery gets a foothold quicker than the creeping Jenny so we will see who the winner ends up being.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn has a very green thumb if that's what we call it in ponding.
Those pics are a year old of a I believe it was only 5 month old layout he had just built onto his existing pond.

The turtle habitat was crazy I believe there were three filter tubs for the one same size tub for the turtles. Crazy healthy .

A salt water reef tank that was cutting edge with some beautiful stony corals

And the pond where he just doubled it or came damn close with a new bog at the end of the addition where that open water tied to the old pond and a bog at that end. Everything healthy and growing.

Thank God too. I realy suck at pretending to like something when not impressed.. That was not the case he has a magnificent place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got to start your own plant supply buis

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn has a very green thumb if that's what we call it in ponding.
Those pics are a year old of a I believe it was only 5 month old layout he had just built onto his existing pond.

The turtle habitat was crazy I believe there were three filter tubs for the one same size tub for the turtles. Crazy healthy .

A salt water reef tank that was cutting edge with some beautiful stony corals

And the pond where he just doubled it or came damn close with a new bog at the end of the addition where that open water tied to the old pond and a bog at that end. Everything healthy and growing.

Thank God too. I realy suck at pretending to like something when not impressed.. That was not the case he has a magnificent place.
Haha, thanks for the compliment, and yeah I can see that about you not hiding how you feel about something. I too am Not good at pretending to like something I don’t.

I could definitely sell a bunch of plants in and around the pond, I should probably yank/weed them out more than I do.

Still need to get a pic of the wood turtle I added, but it is a little skittish still and keeps going underwater every time it sees me. Even though it knows I am a food source, it just needs to get used to being outside. Same with the terrapins I just added, down side of a big pond with lots of hidey holes is they have a lot of places to hide in.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Shots of the jungle bog getting going, cool spring/early summer slowed down the growth.
BB1F0283-661D-43C5-8102-4A60191E9A87.jpeg
24709B03-9441-4BC5-96D3-0DD63F6E110B.jpeg

Most of the plants wintered over including the Cleopatra canna, only downside is it take them abit to get going again, as opposed to just buying another one. Waiting for the banana trees to get big enough to block out neighbors house, probably next year they will be 15-20’ tall

One of the terrapins getting ready to mix it up with the fish horde
7C208A4F-3566-45FB-996A-E6438B840D10.jpeg

CF2A78B2-73D2-4BB0-99C1-A31C713A016B.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks awesome. Are the banana trees inside the bog? I really want to try that, but have read their root systems can make life hell if they cause problems and need pruning.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looks awesome. Are the banana trees inside the bog? I really want to try that, but have read their root systems can make life hell if they cause problems and need pruning.
No I have them about 4-5 ft away from the bog, so they look like they are part of it but aren’t, kind of planted a lot of stuff around the bog that is also in the bog like cannas, taros, so it blends the surrounding landscape with the bog. Yeah, I wouldn’t put the banana trees in the bog as they can get 20’ tall in a single growing season once established, so they have to have an expansive root system to hold themselves up.

Looks like your pond is coming along and are getting close to the fun part of planting it, adding fish, and sitting back and enjoying it…..and coming up with ways to improve it(at least I do, after I enjoy it as it is for awhile). But I realize over the years I like to tinker with things, so it gives me something to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn You went way outside the box with your build maybe this winter you could put together how you did this the depths etc in the new bog how you incorporated the bog into the whole area or did you . never got that deep , or if we did i forgot but it is impressive and you should elaborate how you did it. I KNOW it's asking a lot. you shocked me with the update . looks incredible!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No I have them about 4-5 ft away from the bog, so they look like they are part of it but aren’t, kind of planted a lot of stuff around the bog that is also in the bog like cannas, taros, so it blends the surrounding landscape with the bog.

That’s clever. The banana trees will die back to the ground each winter in MD, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Shots of the jungle bog getting going, cool spring/early summer slowed down the growth.View attachment 152540View attachment 152541
Most of the plants wintered over including the Cleopatra canna, only downside is it take them abit to get going again, as opposed to just buying another one. Waiting for the banana trees to get big enough to block out neighbors house, probably next year they will be 15-20’ tall

One of the terrapins getting ready to mix it up with the fish hordeView attachment 152544
View attachment 152543
What a beautiful pond you have. I love the mix of plants and stones. Fantastic job.

Ask a Question