Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A pond addition...... 91932E38-2FB1-4E9B-9261-4656D8787E8B.jpeg

decided to add on to The pond putting in an intake bay(ditching the traditional skimmer in my pond) and adding another bog in the forefront of the picture. Everything is in, just have to start setting the rock with a mini excavator next weekend, then dig out the bog a little more, then clear the dirt berm between the two ponds and seam the liners together and done, easy peasy.... Although I will say at one point when I started I asked myself is it really worth making another mess of the yard again. Decided screw it yes it is worth it.

will post some more pics as we start setting the rock next weekend....

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Great looking addition, and I can’t help but notice that intake bays seem to be the up and coming thing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought i saw some activity on your pond in a different post but i said naaa he just got done with one. Only i'm that crazy to have plans to add on each year .

I like how your bringing the pond right up to the house i think you'll enjoy that fully

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I thought i saw some activity on your pond in a different post but i said naaa he just got done with one. Only i'm that crazy to have plans to add on each year .

I like how your brining the pond right up to the house i think you'll enjoy that fully

Haha, yeah hanging around the house too much gets me thinking about doing crazy things.

That is exactly what I was thinking about by bringing the pond up closer to the house, the one upper room that the pic is from will look right down into it. The portion that is lined already is just the main pond addition, still got to put in the bog roughly 12x12 or whatever I can get to work on a 20x30 liner and 40 water matrix blocks.

Also thinking about bringing a patio up to the one edge about maybe 20’ wide from our deck, and making so the netting there can drop down and tuck out of the way when we want to sit out there and enjoy it or have friends over.

@TheFishGuy intake bay or negative edge are definitely the way to go, skimmers work fine, but can work too well sometimes causing it to need to be cleaned more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also thinking about bringing a patio up to the one edge about maybe 20’ wide from our deck, and making so the netting there can drop down and tuck out of the way when we want to sit out there and enjoy it or have friends over.
Other then building the pond, the money spent on bring the patio right up to the pond will be the second best investment. I would entertain a waterfall close to that area as well it doesn't need to be to tall. The wife loves the little fall I have coming out log the most it barely has a 6" drop. I think you an I are on track to be like @addy1 and build build and build again. I may do one last expansion myself if I stay here.

Cant wait to see the finish product !

Why did you opt for intake bay over a negative edge ? Turtles?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Other then building the pond, the money spent on bring the patio right up to the pond will be the second best investment. I would entertain a waterfall close to that area as well it doesn't need to be to tall. The wife loves the little fall I have coming out log the most it barely has a 6" drop. I think you an I are on track to be like @addy1 and build build and build again. I may do one last expansion myself if I stay here.

Cant wait to see the finish product !

Why did you opt for intake bay over a negative edge ? Turtles?

Was thinking of a water fall from the bog hooking out of the left corner facing the deck and potential patio, it won’t be tall but as you said it doesn’t take much.

yep on the intake bay over negative edge, didn’t need the turtles going over the edge, so this lets them pretty much go wherever in the pond they want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
40 matrix blocks is a lot i believe i only had like 25 and along with your other bog with 40 blocks was it? you should have the ability to over stock and have no issues. Other then maybe not enough organics in the water . i had my reeds i belive it is turn yellowish last year it's normally pine green

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
40 matrix blocks is a lot i believe i only had like 25 and along with your other bog with 40 blocks was it? you should have the ability to over stock and have no issues. Other then maybe not enough organics in the water . i had my reeds i belive it is turn yellowish last year it's normally pine green
Yeah, might have over done the matrix block order. whatever though, I have an excavator Showing up Friday, so will dig the bog out to what dimensions use up 40 blocks, and then setting the boulders in the pond.

Yes, the other bog used right around 40 blocks.

I think I am going to steal your net curtain idea for the side of the new pond that is near the house, so we can slide the netting out of the way when we have company over Or jus want to sit out there. Also not going to put a fence on this side where we may put a patio, instead will stack 6x8’s then put like a a 2x10 as a cap that over hangs the inside, so the turtles would have to get inverted to climb it.This way it will be completely open when the net is pulled back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If i remember correctly the cistern was 40 per layer and that was close to a 12x12 foot print .

I was just watching a few videos the other day and the guy who did the negative edge videos in my impressive build post. He dug out the sides of the bog outside the matrix probably around a foot deep outside the matrix blocks so he could make the shape of the bog what ever he wanted without placing the boulders on the matrix blocks. Like and exaggerated bond beam best of all in your case would be making some gravel areas where it's dry and they can get up on some rocks inside the containment to bask in the sun. Unfortunately i couldn't find that video but i think you get what i'm saying .

Keep those photos coming

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pic of what’s been done
02FF0B8F-09AA-42C4-93FA-C298DFC9706E.jpeg
lazy pic through upstairs window, anyhow adding 3/4 gravel to bog and single layer on pond bottom. Also need it to fill in planting pockets between big rocks and around edges to blend it in, then add fence and a low border facing the deck to contain the turtles. Should have all that done tomorrow.......

Then just need to pump other pond down and seam the liners together. Which will probably have to be next weekend as suppose to get t-storms and rain Sunday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How long is that going to be now . its going to be something when your done having it right outside the windows. are you adding lights?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Probably around 65’ long, yes will add lights in the new part.

Answering the question in the other thread, haven’t seamed a liner before, going to practice a couple times on some scrap pieces before actually doing the real thing.

Your thread on seaming and the attached videos, is immensely helpful and gives me the confidence to do it and have it work.

Ask a Question