Thoughts on Bio-Balls

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just purchased some Bio-Balls and replaced my lava rocks which were a pain. What are your thoughts on Bio-Balls??? Also, my pond is about 1200 gallons. I currently only have 5 gallons of Bio-Balls in my pond. Do I need more than that??? Is there something better??? I have other filtration(media filters) in the pond. Thanks.

PS3

Reaction score
what other media do you have in the filter besdies the bio balls?
and i would say get more but if its working for you and your water is good
then stick with what you have

Reaction score
I currently don't have anything else besides the Bio-Balls and the filter in the pump box, as well as the waterfall box(3 filters).

I thought I would try the Bio-Balls because the lava rocks got so dirty too quickly. Looks like I might need to buy one more 5 gallon bucket. That might do it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hold on a sec.. do you have the bio balls in your pond or filter? they belong in a filter not the pond. and theres better media than bioballs.

Reaction score
Bio balls are OK. All you want is a porous type surface that has as much surface area as you can get in a compact space. I am going to be using the box strapping material Koikeeper used in the stock tank filter in the DIY section. I will be selling the remainder of what I have when I am done. Coarse sponge material is good. Porcelain rings are also good. I guess the best one is what you feel is easiest to work with and does the job. You can even try a combonation of several to find out. Check out fostersmithaquatics.com and just search out filter media. I'm not saying that they have the best prices, but they do have a wide selection.

Reaction score
Squidhead let me know when you are ready to sell your unused portion of the polystrapping. I was going to order on ebay but would be very insterested in splitting with you squidhead.

Reaction score
Did you take photos DoDad? Can you post your plans? The topic has been bubbling here and we're interested in DIY'ing some--especially since they are so darn expensive to buy!

Ask a Question