Time to step up my aerator

Reaction score
Its time for me to get a better aerator going. My pond is somewhere in the area of 2,400 gallons. So I'm not entirely sure of the aerator I should get. I want one that runs as efficiently as possible. I live on family land and I don't pay any electric bill, they do. But they don't have a problem with me having the pond as long as I keep the power draw low. So that's what I've got to do. Which one is right for me?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry my aggie ripped apart the crushed oyster shell bag to root in it and just left it there .The pond with white bridge was over 2 years ago and rebuilt it and one waterfall moved and now this year I will be rebuilding the big one at the end with an oval stock tank so it can hold more plants .

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think most aerators are pretty efficient, but of course there always seem to be a "green" model of everything out there nowadays.

The size of diffusor will determine the size of aerator. The simple little aquarium aerators sold in the pet stores are used quite a bit, but it all depends on the volume of diffusor you are wanting to use. If the aerator is something vital for your system, then look into getting an aerator that have multiple diaphragms. Diaphragm is the aerator part that experiences all of the wear and tear and, depending on how ya use the aerator, ya will likely experience replacing these once a year. A multiple diaphragm aerator allows you to use the secondary diaphgram while you're waiting for replacement parts for the primary diaphragm. Air lifts are often used in filtration systems instead of pumps so a multiple diaphragm aerator becomes extremely useful. So, whether choose a multiple diaphragm areator or not, it will depend on how vital the aerator is to your pond system.

What are you expecting the aerator to accomplish for ya?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still have my petco areator and thinking it is over 4 years old and less than 30 dollars and came with everything .But just a pond pump in the water areates it .These ideas works just as good as an aerator .They just mix the water around to produce oxygen in the water ,Same thing a waterfall does .

Reaction score
Hmm. Ok I bought the one you posted. Don't know if its got multiple diaphrams or not though. I don't even know if they sell replacement diaphrams for it. Maybe they do though. It did come with a warranty of some kind. I hope its not loud.

Also, how long did it take you to train your big fish to eat out of your hand like that? All my fish are only about a foot long and they're too afraid to do that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine have been doing that since I got them .I made them come to my hand to be fed .The air pump comes with 2 diaphrams and are easy and cheap to install they have a video of how to change it on you tube .I bought the repair kit to have on hand .It has rubber feet and I added extra under the feet to help protect it and use a clay pot to protect it from rain and weather .I put a board under the pot to allow air to flow under and around pump and to keep it from getting wet .I was amazed at how little electric it used .I got the 4 port one .The one from petco also works pretty good and use it for my indoor plants from my pond .I like to over winter my pond plants .The kit was only less than 20 dollars .You do have to soak the aerator balls before they go in the pond .I got all my fish when they were only a couple of inches long .

Reaction score
Yeah I got the 4 stone one as well. I'll be soaking my balls too.

So anyway, how exactly did you get a 2 inch fish to come eat out of your hand? All my fish are quite skittish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
EXCUSE ME :LOL: It takes time and started the young .Don't feed them a couple of days and when you do hold the food in your clutched hand and slowly release one or two pieces and after a couple of times of this they will realize they have to come to your hand to feed .Mine were only a couple of inches long when i first got them and they learned really fast .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Am I right, Sissy, in thinking you're taking umbrage with the idea that balls need to be soaked? Or do I see a woodshed encounter for Benny coming...?

heh

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh dear well could have said i will be soaking the air balls :LOL: not my balls :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: .I have to order another air pump my neighbor bought the new one off of me and will have to take a trip to NC to get another one .I will call this time to make sure they have the one i want in stock this time .It is working great on my neighbors pond as i walked over to look at it just to see .I asked her before I went too and she said no and then when she saw it she wanted it ,go figure

Ask a Question