To rock or not to rock

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's just a personal choice. I did it to my bathtub pond, didn't like it so won't do it again w/any of my ponds. Others seem to be able to do it and keep things looking great. Take a chance, you only live once but LOL, you might have many ponds especially if you stick around here long enough :smuggrin:
disclaimer, @j.w is in charge of GPF's pond propagation division...;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine has a collection of some pea gravel and kitty litter that has spilled over the years. Not gravel put in on purpose

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1000% FOR ROCK ... and if rocked i also vote for a complete covering of the liner with fabric

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
1000% FOR ROCK ... and if rocked i also vote for a complete covering of the liner with fabric

I like that fabric idea... wish we had thought of it. Not slippery when wet for one thing, and also not slippery when covered with algae. We put scraps of fabric under some of our big boulders in the pond and the algae grows on that as nicely as any other surface under water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fabric also helps hold the rocks in place and not slide down to the lowest point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks to everybody for the pics and experience, it helps a bunch.
Hi and welcome. I have never put gravel or rocks on the bottom other than some spilled gravel from planters and everything runs well. I’m able to vacuum the bottom pretty easily with it being smooth. My pond is 42 inches deep so I wouldn't see the rocks if I did have them. It’s a personal choice but I think most people here have smooth bottom ponds because it’s easier to maintain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My depth is 6 feet deep 72" inches deep and you can pick out a dime at the bottom in between the rocks. Now there is no doubt a bald rubber bottom is by far a easier area to use the vacuum on then is a bottom covered in stone but it is not a nightmare it just requires some Macgiver techniques. I originally installed 3/4" rock to the bottom and found out that the larger the stone here the easier it is to vacuum. But even then it took a little finess . I taped a small FINGER onto the vacuum hose this keeps the hose up off the rock but the debris is disturbed by this 1 inch pipe rolling the rocks and letting the vac do it;'s thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the fall it's no fun but I was never home to skim the leaves from the surface and again in the spring. but regardless if rocked or not i would lean toward that's a must every year spring and fall. it all depends on how your pond does with algae. it takes some time it is not like vacuuming the rug it's primarily drag across the rocks slowly . There's no push, its lift push the tube across the water let it drop and direct it as you pull it back. Ponds can be minimal maintenance but they definitely require Especially in the first couple years, until your pond gets established. it has become less and less but i have also got better and better at it to i know my pond better and learned the tricks . but i wouldn't go to a bald bottom i have a spot that has rocks that have been pulled off by the fish and to me there's no competition

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Me i am banned from vacuum's, washer machines and dish washer's I tend to break them when i use them so the wife has banned e from those tasks " it's just not FAIR"

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never vac hardly ever scoop the bottom just stays nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
My pond is 16 years old and finally had to remove ALL the gravel from the pond because the skimmer box was clogging full of algae every 10 minutes. The pond had finally reached a tipping point. You should have seen the volume of black sludge that we vacuumed out. Unbelievable. I won't ever use stones again but there are those with different experiences. I did like the look of gravel, but alas, it didn't work for me over time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Corgi Mom: What do you think the contributing factors were to all the algae you were getting. Do you have lots of fish? What kind of filtration are you running? Pond in full sun? Lots of leaf fall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
As everyone else has implied: there is no wrong answer. I know the Aquascape guys and especially Ed the Pond Professor really advocate for a rocked pond to help foster a healthy ecosystem. I do think the key to lower maintenance is whether or not you have a skimmer or intake bay to help pull in debris and whether or not you have a really well-balanced pond. A well-balanced ecosystem will have just the right number of fish and the right number of plants - and it sometimes can take a couple of years (or longer) to get to that point. The bacteria in a healthy pond are pretty efficient at using up small waste. I don't have a lot of crud on the bottom of my pond either. Whenever I think I see something that looks like gunk or funk, I get out the big long handled skimmer net and try to get it. It's never anything substantial. I think Addy1 calls it "mulm." It's pretty neat, actually.

Ask a Question