To skim or not to skim (leak problem, new home owner)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rain has finally let up and it’s the end of summer blitz.
Already took the rocks off a few weeks ago to look but seems guaranteed leak is around them due to skimmer being entirely out of equation now.

I chalked the water line and redrained. Planned to remove the rocks again, entirely, not just groups relocated as I work around.
From peeling the liner back by the skimmer they put some type of under lament fabric(good I read?).

Is there any Method to my madness as I look for the tear? “Obviously” the hole “should” be around the chalked line, but also read something about crinkled liner possible forming self pumping capillaries and water is siphoning itself out (?)

I considered slowly pulling up the whole liner to not only check for tears but flatten it out, but this would be impulsive (have not researched further liner type, best time of year, if I can damage the hole structure without the liner and ground being wet, no liner, no tools, complete newbie). The liner is well covered at the top, with rocks and dirt top layer settling together over 17 years and the previous owners have tons of plant growth edging into it. Not sure what type they are so they seem hardy and probably fine to cutback/mess with a bit whilst handling the liner edges(if needed somehow)?

The pond curves and I haven’t found any obvious seals between liner. I would assume either a) one big piece of liner square, curved, resulting in the crinkled up look due to excess, b) 17 year old liner/pond settling, c) something else?

do I need to procure any trade tools or supplies to make this fix more realistic and successful? “Limited” funds depending on how much and what is happening.
9EDD7CE7-7209-443F-83D2-CAEFDE0E3F5A.jpeg
6DF016BE-E5DF-4C62-8B8F-47F48FD3D0A6.jpeg
7B477E56-DE66-4E8F-905F-469599E7F56A.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Refresh my memory - did you say this portion of the pond will drain dry if you leave it?

It will consistently drain to the chalk line. Thought it was the skimmer - continues to happen without the skimmer. Skimmer has no issue holding water. Pond loses water while system is off.

I drained it this morning as it's easier working from the inside hauling the rocks out vs. reaching down/in. Angle is better to see with all the top rocks/plants still in place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it's purely a puncture hole - would this be what I need?
Amazon patch kit

Here's to hoping after I patch it, I can peel all the caulking off the skimmer and see if it'll still work. :cautious:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You mentioned a "pressure seal" on the skimmer. That's not a real thing. You need a bead of silicone to keep that skimmer plate from leaking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That kit is as described for minor leaks like at the surface, There no primer which i find add. though it is nasty stuff. But yes that can do the job, just make sure to round the corners or cut round pieces. square patches don't work half as well. Also so if the skimmer is not the culprit and from what i can see your edges of the pond are quite high. so i'd look at the plumbing next.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to say this
but it's a rather small pond YOU could order a new liner clean up the digging on the pond so you don't have issues with your liner showing and rocks stacked on one another. to pull everything back re dig and replace your talikng a weekends task / 17 year old liner gets an upgrade and you get another 20 years or enjoyment plus some with a better designed pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to say this
but it's a rather small pond YOU could order a new liner clean up the digging on the pond so you don't have issues with your liner showing and rocks stacked on one another. to pull everything back re dig and replace your talikng a weekends task / 17 year old liner gets an upgrade and you get another 20 years or enjoyment plus some with a better designed pond

1. Any recommendations on repair kit?
2. Given the photos, what would I be looking at for cost in pond liner? Like mentioned - limited investment and spouse buy in

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
how long wide and deep is it . my guess is 200

Reaction score
Country
United States
To put the replacement talk on pause, I win! Found the hole! (Also call bullsh!t the pond actually worked when we bought it, seems like it’s an aged hole)

had to remove a ton of rocks and dirt caked up the layers. Pond looks larger now. The spillway into the main area is a little soggy to walk on so may let it chill a bit wo water to see if it’ll solidify?

anyway the hole was hidden behind a flap of the liner and pretty sizable. Tons of roots and other stuff around. Seems to be plenty of extra liner kind of folded up, could be stretched and flattened upward a bit but scared to ruin the walls and shelves not knowing what I’m doing.
Also on the river to the main body, found they just laid two liners on top of each other. It’s a foot or two above the hole so doesn’t seem to be effecting anything obvious?
4D532823-4347-41FA-81AB-EA252BF86DAF.jpeg
9BB2F694-E59E-412D-BCF0-F20C44ED1899.jpeg
7CD22E33-C627-4985-9D04-1806569B5F68.jpeg
C8DE0C46-7463-4E84-AA68-83BB5A2544F2.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good job . There's a article i did in the forum pond construction and equipment at the top of the page. That shows how to seam a liner. It is the same for sealing holes. Again make your patches rounded. Make the liner as clean as you can get it . Use of gasoline can help get it spotless. Id patch each of those with a small patch and then place a large patch over them both. If your unsure as to how good you did in patching you can always patch both sides which I'd recommend to insure you never see that area again
Never stretch the rubber to make it fit your fix it has a memory and it will fail in time. I'd also recommend getting a firestone patch kit they also supply the primer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond is about 16' with the short bend, and about 8 ' across at the widest. Any budget liner recommendations?

Still feeling like just repairing the liner hole and moving on for now with how mushy the tier/shelves feel.
Anyway to get them to dry or otherwise solidify more to mold them?

pond1.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have little to loose in patching patch kits are that expensive. Or are they. Like i said patch both sides and patch over the patch as long as you clean it good you should be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your design would require one big piece of rubber look at it as a square. 2 feet plus depth plus width plus depth plus 2 feet for edging and or oversight. A 20x20 is $ 320

Ask a Question