Toads laying eggs in Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 3000 gallon pond in Miami and am constantly finding toads in it. I catch and dispose of as many as I can but sometimes they get in there and do the nasty. They have laid eggs and now there are tadpoles in the pond. I am trying to remove most of them with a net but I am sure many will escape. I have heard different things about Toad tadpoles. Some say they area ok for the fish if they eat them others say they are poisonous to the Koi. Anyone have some definitive information on this? I have invested a bit in my Koi and don't want a nasty Toad to cause any harm to them. Any advice on keeping them away will also be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

JP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a 3000 gallon pond in Miami and am constantly finding toads in it. I catch and dispose of as many as I can but sometimes they get in there and do the nasty. They have laid eggs and now there are tadpoles in the pond. I am trying to remove most of them with a net but I am sure many will escape. I have heard different things about Toad tadpoles. Some say they area ok for the fish if they eat them others say they are poisonous to the Koi. Anyone have some definitive information on this? I have invested a bit in my Koi and don't want a nasty Toad to cause any harm to them. Any advice on keeping them away will also be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

JP

the tads are foul tasting and fish won't eat them, so don't worry. Keeping them out; you'll have to invest in a fencing system of sorts because as long as there's water, they will come. Most don't sweat tads of any kind because the fish will eat the frog versions and after the toads grow up, they always go away on their own. Toads will keep the bugs down around your area, so they're beneficial.

Unless of course, you want bugs around...

smiley-tongue-on-icy-pole---Xsml.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Apparently toad eggs & tadpoles both taste bad, because my fish never bother either. I've actually seen a fish gulp down a tadpole & then spit it right back out! lol

My pond is similar in size to yours & I have dozens & dozens - probably upward of a hundred toads show up every spring to spawn. The tadpoles develop pretty quickly & then they just hop out & away to live in the woods & garden. Never caused any issues for the pond, other than perhaps a bit of foamy water from the spawning. I really love the toads!
toads day 2 08.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
tadpoles develop pretty quickly & then they just hop out & away to live in the woods & garden.
They are so cute when they hop away, tiny tiny lil toads. Ground covered with them, then gone! See a few big ones now and then, but the bugs have decreased greatly in our yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
Apparently toad eggs & tadpoles both taste bad, because my fish never bother either. I've actually seen a fish gulp down a tadpole & then spit it right back out! lol

My pond is similar in size to yours & I have dozens & dozens - probably upward of a hundred toads show up every spring to spawn. The tadpoles develop pretty quickly & then they just hop out & away to live in the woods & garden. Never caused any issues for the pond, other than perhaps a bit of foamy water from the spawning. I really love the toads! View attachment 146429
Great pic. I have seen this many times in my pond over the years. Their mating sounds remind me that Spring is on the way. Last year during mating season the strainer on my suction line popped open and the toads were sucked up into the strainer basket in my pump. My waterfall was barely flowing so I opened the strainer on the pump and found 19 toads in there still alive. They quickly got a new home.
As far as the koi eating the tadpoles, they don't seem to bother them .

Attachments

• DSCN0351.JPG
    DSCN0351.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 19

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get 1000's of tads, they slowly disappear and or become froggies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Is Miami one of the areas having to deal with cane toads? I would check with your local extension office if so. Some places have recommendations for dealing with invasive species. I'm hoping your visitors are regular old toads and that they will eat some mosquitoes and hop away!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I raised my orfes on tadpoles and mosquito larvae. They also ate fish food, but preferred the live food.

Maybe they were frogs and not toads, but whatever they were the orfes loved them and had no problems eating them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is Miami one of the areas having to deal with cane toads? I would check with your local extension office if so. Some places have recommendations for dealing with invasive species. I'm hoping your visitors are regular old toads and that they will eat some mosquitoes and hop away!
Pretty sure they are Cane Toads. Big monsters! I hate them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Dunno about miami enviroment's laws, but in Australia are a pest and cooling is the only way, but seems doesnt work anyway.. :(

Ask a Question