Too many babies

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry I didn't get back to you on that. I have had several customers want to buy every fish I had- resellers! Others that say they have ponds but have aquariums. People that want a 20" koi to put in a 300 gallon pond! I sold 4 fish to a man who told me he was in the process of building his pond. Saw the fish on Craigslist the following year in a 55 gallon aquarium, bent spines from crowding! My fish now go to people who can prove that they can care for them.
Here is my pond with the koi I purchased. Would these guys be too small to spawn from what you can see? Fish are toward the bottom right.
97B2C8AA-BB21-44C1-9DD9-42198BC36BBF.jpeg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Really hard to tell size from pics. Mine haven't spawned till about 10-12" but it depends on the fish. I fed growth food when I was selling and fed 4-5 times a day. 1 year old koi 18-20". Really think you got goodies with your plants. Just a thought, if you can bring in eggs on plants, you can also bring in parasites and disease.
I talk to my customers, ask about filtration, testing, equipment. Any responsible pond keeper can give you the correct info.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do have an extensive water test kit and my filter has a UV light so I hope that will take care of it. Thank you for that thought. I’ll stay vigilant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry I didn't get back to you on that. I have had several customers want to buy every fish I had- resellers! Others that say they have ponds but have aquariums. People that want a 20" koi to put in a 300 gallon pond! I sold 4 fish to a man who told me he was in the process of building his pond. Saw the fish on Craigslist the following year in a 55 gallon aquarium, bent spines from crowding! My fish now go to people who can prove that they can care for them.
I was worried that sort of thing would be common. It's the fear that has kept me from getting into goldfish breeding. It's amazing how easily some people will lie about something so important.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So many people are out to make a quick buck! I donate items to Freecycle and there are people who try to snatch up everything available so they can sell it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just gave my first 8 babies to a pond owner who Lives near me. My sister thought of her and when she got in touch With the lady, she said she’d just re-lined her pond and has it up and running again but couldn’t go out due to corona virus to buy new fish. Free babies delivered and I got to see their new home. Thanks for the encouragement. It’s not easy to catch these little guys. I’m putting them a little at a time into a 75 tank as I can find homes for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You might post them on out trade sell thread. If I were closer, I’d take a few fry, but I really need to finish my pond first. My “qt” pond is now loaded with guppies for summer, so I’d best not take anything that might mess with them.

Ask a Question