Took over existing pond, fighting algae for weeks now

Reaction score
Yes, still using the same Laguna. I'll look into the prefilters you posted. I had also read about the trash-can DIY pre-filters which would be interesting to make if an emergency bloom took over again.

Reaction score
I only skimmed the first page of posts but don't think anyone has mentioned that you mentioned your problem in the original post but then choose to ignore it. Way too many fish. I believe you said about 500 gallons? Realistically, that is not enough water for two full grown Koi but whatever... I would start by removing all but the Koi and a few of your favorite goldfish. Less fish, less fish food, less waste.

Reaction score
Yes, great point and one that kind went to the side. Thank you for posting that. In recent measuring, it's actually 700 gal (not too much more).

That's likely one of the variables that changed the ecology the most. For one, we couldn't even identify the fish when it was so murky. We actually had 3 large koi , 2 small koi, and 25 goldfish. And I completely agree now that that's way too many. We lost one large koi this spring, and most of the goldfish to predators. Thinning out the population likely made the biggest changes.

Ask a Question